We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay ?

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
where to stay ?

I taking my daughter to visit the University of Michigan in late September. The following night, I promised to take her to Bloomfield Hills to visit a friend overnight. She will sleep at the girl's home, but I need a hotel to sleep for one nite (Sat.) by myself. I'm looking for a safe neighborhood with something to do--shopping ,movies in a nice hotel--I don't need fancy, a Marriott or something like that.

We'll be returning back to DTW early Sunday morning. I have rented a car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay ?

I would suggest staying in Troy near I-75, it's not to far from Bloomfield Hills and it close to Birmingham, Royal Oak and Rochester Hills. There is Marriot located on Big Beaver just off of I75. Somerset Collection is just down the street, it's offers a little something for everyone. Also, there are a plethora of restaurants, both chain and local treats. Maggiano's and Kruse and Muer are two of my favorites.

marriott.com/hotels/…

http://www.thesomersetcollection.com/

http://www.maggianos.com/

kruseandmuerrestaurants.com/OurRestaurants/…

New York City
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay ?

Thanks! The hotel looks perfect. About how far from Ann Arbor and Bloomfield Hills and then..how far back to DTW. I have a horrible sense od direction, but rented a car w/ navigation!!

Thanks again

great suggestion!

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay ?

I'm awful at estimating, however I'd say the Marriot in Troy is about 30 miles away from the airport, maybe about a 35 - 40 minute dirve. Troy is fairly close to Bloomfield Hills, I'm not sure exactly where you'll be, but Bloomfeild is about 6-7 miles away and a 10 -15 minute drive. Ann Arbor is a bit further, about 50 miles and about a 50 minute - one hour drive.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay ?

PS - I based all my estimations from the Troy Marriott. I wasn't very clear in my post.

New York City
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay ?

great--I booked it for only $80/ nite AAA discount & the shopping should keep me very busy!

I had to pay so much more in Ann Arbor for Fri. nite...Campus Inn $229

thanks again

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay ?

Hotels in Ann Arbor are naturally more expensive on football weekends, but $229 is still awfully high. Did you try Candlewood Suites? Usually, you can snag a room there for about $90. There's also an Extended Stay America near Briarwood Mall that also has mini-suites.

New York City
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay ?

nothing was available & it's not a football weekend!

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay ?

Great, enjoy your stay in AA and in Troy! If you have time I highly suggest Kruse and Muer for a bite to eat!!

New York City
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay ?

I already put it on my calendar

Get answers to your questions about Birmingham