We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deer Lake near Boyne Mountain

Which Boyne Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Deer Lake near Boyne Mountain

Hey folks. I spend a lot of time on Lake Charlevoix but I have not spent time on any of the surrounding smaller lakes. I have a question for those who may know Deer Lake in Boyne Falls. What is it like for swimming, fishing, boating, etc? With the poor economy in Michigan, some of the cottages for sale on Deer Lake are so reasonably priced that I can't help but think about the possibility of purchasing a place. That plus my kids love to golf at Boyne Mountain and we all love to ski....

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I appreciate the info. Thanks, Moms

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deer Lake near Boyne Mountain

Hey Moms,

As a real estate broker, I'm familiar with Deer Lake, but I've not spent a lot of time on it. I know the lake's just over 400 acres and only 22' deep, which compared to other inland lakes is quite small and shallow. Swimming will be good, but with warmer water temps, swimmer's itch can pop up from time to time. Boating is limited...with 400 acres you'll be able to waterski, jetski and take a sunset cruise but you're certainly not going to go spend the day on the lake. Fishing is mostly bluegill and bass, but pike and crappie are also caught.

In my opinion, if Boyne Mountain is your main draw a place on Deer Lake would be great. If the lake is your main draw, I'd consider other lakes. I know you tend to prefer Charlevoix, but there are some great deals to be had on lakes up around Petoskey, Indian River and Mackinaw. It's very much a buyer's market here in Northern Michigan...definitely the time to make a move if you're thinking of ever owning a cottage in Northern Michigan.

Hope this helps moms...

Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Deer Lake near Boyne Mountain

My Aunt has a house on Deer Lake. She lives on Deer Lake Rd by Boyne Falls. It is a small lake but pretty. I grew up swimming in both Charlevoix and Deer Lake. Charlevoix has a sandy bottom and Deer Lake is kinda mucky, but I think it clears up the further you go out. You might want to post this question in the Boyne City Forum and ask them about Deer Lake. It might be different on the other side.

3. Re: Deer Lake near Boyne Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 08:38
Get answers to your questions about Boyne Falls