We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copper Harbor or Munising

Kansas City...
14 posts
Save Topic
Copper Harbor or Munising

We are planning a trip to the UP in August 2013. We will have 3 days at the end of our trip. Should we spend 2 days in Copper Harbor and 1 in Munising or vice versa? Which area has more "must see" attractions? Your input would be appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

Munising has lots of waterfalls to see in the area. And the entrance to Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore is right there too, and is worth visiting and hiking. Be sure and take the Pic Rock boat trip, located right in Munising!

However, I really love Copper Country! You could easily spend 2 days in the Keewanaw! Hike, fish, Brockway Mountain Drive, lighthouses, little hamlets, Calumet...lots to see and do. Hard to choose for someone..I would choose CH for myself.

michigan
Level Contributor
313 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

I 2nd Copper Harbor. Nothing compares to the Keweenaw. The beaches in the area are unbelievably beautiful, the views, the woods, the air......

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

WOW, did my iPad really spell Keewanaw instead of Keweenaw? Dumb things! Of course, I should have been proofreading....;)

Edited: 09 February 2013, 20:58
Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

I gotta vote for Copper Harbor. Although Munising has Grand Island & Pictured Rocks. Copper Harbor has beautiful coastline, great kayaking, world-class mountain biking, the Estevant Pines hiking trails, golf, ghost towns, Brockway Mountain, waterfalls, etc.

What kind of activities are you interested in?

Oh ya...and Copper Harbor has the best restaurant in the U.P.. The Harbor Haus.

Kansas City...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

Thanks for the input! Lungfruit, we like natural beauty sightseeing....waterfalls, coastlines, scenic overlooks,etc. I am thinking we may spend 24 hours in Munising and checkout the waterfalls and the sunset pictured rocks cruise then head to Copper Harbpr for two days before returning to Missouri. I can already tell that this trip will be entirely too short but some is better than none!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

Great idea, glad! That is what I'd do!

Detroit
Level Contributor
570 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

I agree with everyone here. I way prefer copper harbor. But I do love the pictured rocks cruise in Munising. I agree wtih your plan if you have the time for one day in Munising to do pictured rocks (that and the hen house for fudge are really the only 2 things worth doing there in my opinion) and the other 2 in copper harbor. My advice for the pictured rocks tour, the sunset tour is the prettiest. If you have to go during the day, I was surprised that for me a bright sunny day was the worst time to see them. I liked them better on an overcast day, easier to see the colors.

Milan, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Copper Harbor or Munising

I'll add another vote for Copper Harbor. For a beautiful drive and view over the region, Brockway Mountain drive is a great short drive and comes down into Copper Harbor if started from the southern end near Eagle Harbor. The coastline drive from Copper to Eagle Harbor and on further to Eagle River is gorgeous and you'll find some places where you can pull over and walk a long beach (looking for pretty agates, sand-polished stones, and sea glass). There are picturesque lighthouses in Copper Harbor and in Eagle Harbor. And one of our favorite places to stop is the Jampot on M-26 at Jacob's Falls between Eagle River and Eagle Harbor. It's run by a small Catholic monastery of the Byzantine rite. The monks make the loveliest jams, jellies, fruit-cakes (liquored or not), and candies, where possible using the bounty of the area (thimbleberries, wild strawberries... and much more!) We stopped almost every time we drove past just to get a piece of chocolate or a muffin for sustenance!

Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong. Both places are worthy of several days and we hope that you enjoy your "taste" of the UP and come back for more soon!

Reply to: Copper Harbor or Munising
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Copper Harbor