We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for fall colors

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best time for fall colors

I know it's a crap shoot when the leaves will peak, I'm thinking about the 1st week in October?????? We were at the Tahquamenon Falls Last fall at the end of September and there was very little color. I've read that the west side of the UP starts changing first. I would love to just keep a on on color reports and go when it's near peak but I worry we won't be able to find lodging. I want to make reservations soon but not sure when to book. Does anyone have an idea when they will start this year, I know the weather plays a big part of it, we were in munising a few weeks ago and it was 90, I read the other day it was in the 50's.

25 replies to this topic
Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time for fall colors

No way of knowing for sure. The first week in October might be right...might not. I wouldn't worry about hotel reservations as you should easily find a room in Copper Harbor, or Calumet or Houghton. during color time. Leaf peeping is popular, but hotels won't sell out.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time for fall colors

Thanks for the info on the hotels, that helps a lot. I figured they would all be booked that time of the year. I will keep an eye on the color reports (and bug you ;-) I was thinking the Bella Vista??? Is that a good place to stay when exploring the Keweenaw Peninsula in the fall?

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time for fall colors

Yes, that's a nice place. Some family were just in town and stayed there. They gave it high marks!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time for fall colors

>>>>during color time. Leaf peeping is popular, but hotels won't sell out.<<<<<<<

just another reason why the yoop is the most underrated scenic area in the country, IMO.... new england and closer to home, door county, get all the glory (and crowds and high prices), which is good for us sight seeing midwest folk......

Detroit
Level Contributor
570 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time for fall colors

I'd aim for last week of September, first week of October.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time for fall colors

If the weather stays like it is today it will be the first week in September lol. This morning it was 58 degrees and I'm in southest Michigan.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time for fall colors

52 in the Keweenaw today and an expected low of 35 tonight (holy s*%t!!) Colors are already changing up here. Facebook is plastered with pics of the changing leaves.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time for fall colors

Are they really changing that much? I was kidding about the first week in September, but do you think it could happen? I read they had color change in August before up there, I think it was in 2007

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time for fall colors

Got your mittens out, Lung? ;)

We are going to MC in a couple of weeks and will drive around in the eastern UP a bit, so I will be curious to see if any color will be popping out. It was 65 here in mid-Michigan today. 47 tonight....Wench, you might have to be flexible with your return UP trip! Take your mittens, too...LOL

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time for fall colors

We are lucky that we are flexible (time wise ;-) if we weren't we would never have cut our trip short in July. The weather has been so crappy, I hope it will be nice in the fall.

Reply to: Best time for fall colors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Copper Harbor