We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

Which Dearborn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N.E. Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

We'll be stopping at Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum this Saturday on the way to a wedding in Detroit. We'll likely only have 4-5 hours to visit so I know we can't do both, and for the cost, I don't want to do a combined ticket and only see parts of each. Would the museum be a better choice for a short day, and should it keep our group of 4 adults and 2 teens interested and busy for that long?

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

I'd definitely go to the museum, if it were mid-July and the village were in full swing or December during the "holiday nights" I might advise otherwise but in this case my vote goes to the museum. There's PLENTY to keep the four of you occupied for 4-5 hours...I could probably spend 4-5 days and not get bored (maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but it is really cool.) Maybe someone more familiar with the current events at the Village would have a different opinion, but that's my take.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

I agree on the museum and yes, there is plenty to keep everyone occupied.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

I would choose Greenfield Village. The Henry Ford Museum is a great museum, but it is still just another big museum.

Greenfield Village is unique. Henry Ford's first factory, the Wright Brothers bicycle shop and home, Thomas Edison's entire Menol Park complex and so very much more. The Esison stuff includes things like the original light bulb.

Plus there is a lot of living history with crafts like glass blowing & baking and the Steam Engine & other neat transportation.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

You would need to check the website, to make sure the village is even open during this time of year. I do know they open for the holidays and are very nicely decorated. However, once cold weather sets in, they close the village for an extended period of time.

I'd go go for the museum, too. Plenty to keep your interest. There is also an IMAX theater you can visit, too, as well as a nice gift shop and a decent restaurant connected to the museum. :0

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

The village is open on the weekends during November. Hours are posted as: November 1, 2010 - November 28, 2010: Open Friday-Sunday, 9:30am-5:00pm.

If it was me, I would rather stop at the village as long as the weather was nice. I've planned trips to where we go to the village on the nicer day. The current weekend forecast for Saturday calls for upper 50s and mostly cloudy in Detroit. Not necessarily ideal, but it's better than when it's in the 90s and humid, and also you would be in & out of the buildings. You'd likely be doing more walking at the village, so if you feel pressed for time it might be easier to visit the museum. You really can't go wrong with either place.

http://thehenryford.com/

6. Re: Greenfield Village or Henry Ford Museum--which to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 07:33