We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day

Burlington...
4 posts
Save Topic
1 Day

My wife, infant, and I are thinking of stopping in dearborn for 2 nights on the way to Niagra falls. Can The ford museum and Greenfield village be done in one day with a (usually well behaved)9 month old?

Mentioned in this post
Greenfield Village
Greenfield Village
2,068 Reviews
Dearborn, MI
Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day

Hello edaniels171,

If you are the kind of person that likes to read most the post that are in front of displays or building and take things slow I would say no but if you go to parts of the museum or village that interest you and skip the others then yes.

For me it took me about 3/4 of a day to do the Greenfield Village.

Mentioned in this post
Greenfield Village
Greenfield Village
2,068 Reviews
Dearborn, MI
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day

You could probably do a quick overview, but to see it all properly you really need at least two days, or preferably three. My husband and I were there last fall and spent one day at the museum and one day at Greenfield Village, and really think, looking back, we should have done another day at Greenfield Village, there's so much to take in after a while it all got to be a bit of a blur. Also there's a LOT of walking, especially at Greenfield, so be prepared to take breaks (unless you're in much better shape than we are!)

Two other considerations - to see both, you have to pay two admissions (one for the museum, one for Greenfield). And also weather - Greenfield in the rain can be a bit problematic. With only one day there you really don't have much flexibility (when we were there it rained the first day, so we did the museum then - a tour group at our hotel, only there for the day, was generally unhappy because they didn't much enjoy a wet and rainy Greenfield).

Still, it's a really fascinating place, not to be missed if you have the chance, so if you only have a day, my suggestion would be to concentrate on either the museum or Greenfield Village.

Mentioned in this post
Greenfield Village
Greenfield Village
2,068 Reviews
Dearborn, MI
Burlington...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day

Thank you I appreciate the insight we are going over memorial day weekend so as long as they are open memorial day we are in good shape

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day

In my opinion you can’t do both in one day and do it justice. Both are enormous complexes and deserve the time it takes to appreciate them fully.

That being said the Village is open Memorial Day but you should know that is the Civil War Remembrance weekend which is a very popular event. It will be very crowded but it is a very cool event and worth seeing if you can deal with crowds. There will be all kinds of reenactments going on with special exhibits and camps set up.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day

Here is the link for that weekend if you are interested.

thehenryford.org/events/civilWarRemembrance.…

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day

Also keep in mind that the normal hours for both the museum and village during the summer are 9:30 to 5:00. The village is open until 9pm on Saturday of Memorial weekend, but normal hours on Monday. With all the extra events it will be even more difficult to see both on the same day and enjoy either of them properly.

7. Re: 1 Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2016, 07:18