We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

Hello!

I noticed an old thread on this topic, but I am trying to give myself some piece of mind if I go forward with my possible trip to Chicago next month. I am looking to go to Chicago for 3 days & would like to take the train rather than drive once in Michigan, I'm coming from Toronto.

For those familiar with the area, how safe is a car parked at the long term parking facilities at Dearborn station? Has finding a spot ever an issue for anyone?

Thanks in advance for any help! From what I've read, I am definitely not parking at the downtown Detroit station. lol.

MissAnn
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

It has been about three years ago but we did park our car there for a few nights. We did not have any problems getting a spot and I think it is right by the police station.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

MissAnn is right. The train station is in the same parking lot as the Dearborn Police Station. It's well lit and there's no charge. You should be fine.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

There is always a quite a bit of parking and I would say it's a very safe area.

I live less than 2 miles from there and love taking the train whenever possible.

I don't think there is a lot of parking at any of the other stations Detroit, Royal Oak (pay?) or Ann Arbor. This is nice size lot (and you've got the police and a decent lit lot). It might be busy on a holiday, but otherwise I'd say NO problem.

Gary

B A
Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

Hello,

Just following up on this post, I am considering taking the train to Chicago this upcoming weekend and would like to hear other opinions on parking at the Dearborn station.

Thank you,

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

I live in Dearborn, and yes, your car should be quite safe as it is behind the police station. It's a very small train station, and there will be plenty of parking. . I will say though, the train to Chicago is pretty basic. Eventually it will be replaced with a high speed train, but for now, it's an old Amtrak train that is frequently late especially in bad weather. Not trying to discourage you, but just want you to know what to expect. Also, Dearborn station is moving soon. Work has already begun on an all new station, very modern adjacent to Greenfield Village. Not sure what parking arrangements will be once completed.

Northville, MI
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

Your car will be fine, I have parked and left my car for weekends to Chicago several times. It is not a parking structure, but rather just a regular outdoor parking lot. Always plenty of spots available. As noted it is currently in the same parking lot as the Dearborn Police department, and, kiddy korner from Ford World Headquarters. Easy to get to from both I94 and The Southfield Freeway (M39).

As a side note I have also taken train from Ann Arbor and find the Dearborn location to be much easier to deal with parking wise.

7. Re: Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak Station Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2016, 04:18