We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a non passenger meet with NWpassengers at detroit metro

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Can a non passenger meet with NWpassengers at detroit metro

HI I have some friends that are flying into Detroit Metro airport and have a 3 hour layover there. Can i as a non passenger meet them inside the terminal for a meal or do they have to meet me outside?

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a non passenger meet with NWpassengers at detroit metro

You will not be able to get past security without a boarding pass. The only area that you will be allowed without a boarding pass is the check-in desk area and baggage claim. There are no restaurants in these areas and if your friends meet you there they will have to go back through security to get to their gate.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a non passenger meet with NWpassengers at detroit metro

If you are a member of the NW Worldclub you can call a day before and say you need to meet with people. They will give you a gate pass to get to the club where you can meet them. I am guessing you are not a member though and don't want to shell out $450 for a membership.

There is another option. Purchase a fully refundable ticket on NW for the day you want to meet them. Check in, get your boarding pass, clear security, and then call to cancel your ticket. It may take a couple weeks to get the money credited back to your card. You should be able to do the entire thing online at nwa.com.

Before people scream about how this loophole is bad for security, note that keeping non-flying people out of the secure area has nothing to do with secuity and the safety of flying. It has to do with keeping security lines shorter. It is doubtful that many people will want to tie up hundreds of $$$ to do this, so I don't see a big deal.

Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a non passenger meet with NWpassengers at detroit metro

Can I meet my friends in The airport Westin Hotel. Can they enter in from the airport and can I enter in from outside. Do they have a decent reastarant or bar?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a non passenger meet with NWpassengers at detroit metro

I believe that you can. They will have to go back and forth through security in the hotel. Call the Westin and double check.

The restaurant - DEMA - is pretty good, by all accounts. I haven't eaten there myself.

5. Re: Can a non passenger meet with NWpassengers at detroit metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 11:20