We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detroit downtown shoe shop

Stockholm
4 posts
Save Topic
Detroit downtown shoe shop

Next week I'll be in Detroit for a conference and I would like to try out a pair or two of good running shoes.

I won't have very much time to walk around to find a shop, so I thought I'd ask here if someone can help me.

It is good if it's a dedicated shop where I can try the shoes on a treadmill with good help from the staff.

Thanks in advance

/Sam the swede

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

I know of some good running stores in the suburbs of Detroit, but not in the city it self. Are you staying in the city or in the burbs? Please advise and I can try to help you out more.

Stockholm
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

Thanks for your reply.

I'm staying in greektown, on Brush street. Guess it's downtown. I think it's possible to go to the suburbs if it doesn't take too long with the subway or by taxi.

The conference is at the COBO center.

/Sam

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

There is an Athlete's Foot on Woodward - a few blocks from greektown. Not sure about a treadmill.

http://www.theathletesfoot.com/home.html

Athlete's Foot

1448 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI

(313) 962-9220

Stockholm
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

Ah, that looks pretty good. Can't find any information about what services they provide in that particular store, but I'll give it a try when I get there.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

The Atheletes foot is close and they do have some running shoes, but it's not a running store that specializes in running shoes and products.

I prefer Hanson Running shop, they have a great staff that runs and can break the shoes down for you. They are very knowledgeable and can suggest a style or shoe based on distance and terrain. The only problem with Hansons is that they don't have a location near where you're staying. Also, Detroit doesn't have the best public transportation. You could cab it, but I think the cab could be very pricey. Below is the website, I usually shop at the store in Royal Oak.

www.hansons-running.com

Stockholm
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

In that case I'll try going to Hansons. Are there no subway or local buslines in Detroit?

How much do you think a cab will cost?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

Oh, the bus isn't so bad. Sam, you can take the SMART (regional) bus up Woodward Ave. to 13 mile and then the 13 mile cross town (east to 13 and Rochester)

Or the SMART 610/615 KERCHEVAL-HARPER-JEFFERSON or Detroit (DDOT) Mack Avenue bus to the store in Grosse Pointe Woods. You might have to do a little walking and you will have to build in travel time. Consult the schedules from the Web sites below... so it depends on whether you have more time or money!

Stops at Mack and Moross, about a mile from the store you're seeking. You could hop on the 10 Mile Crosstown SMART bus (ask for a transfer) and it will take you that remaining mile.

The 580 Harper bus stops at Harper and Vernier, again you'd have to walk east.

Most all of the city and regional buses pick up at Larned and Woodward - not that far from where you're staying.

http://www.smartbus.org

www.detroitmi.gov/ddot/businfo/schedules.html

Another SMART bus will take you from downtown to the Somerset Collection, where there are lots of lovely stores. It is a huge indoor, high end shopping complex.

I can also ask my boyfriend, who is out of town right now. He retired from DDOT and knows the route system extremely well.

Hansons Running Shop

3407 Rochester Rd. (just north of 13 Mile Rd.)

Royal Oak, Mi 48073

Store Hours are:

Monday-Friday 11:00 to 8:00

Saturday 10:00 to 6:00

Sunday 11:00 to 5:00

Hansons Running Shop

20641 Mack (one block south of Vernier)

Grosse Pte. Woods, Mi 48236

Store Hours are:

Monday-Friday 11:00 to 8:00

Saturday 10:00 to 6:00

Sunday 11:00 to 5:0

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

Thanks Addie, I was just getting ready to add the bus schedule! So helpful...........as usual!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

Hey, gbgirl -- I had the time... my bosses were in a meeting - no looking over my shoulder! :-)

Thanks!

10. Re: Detroit downtown shoe shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 00:19