We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pistons Dilemma

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pistons Dilemma

I'm really hoping to get to the Pistons/Bulls game in March which would be one of the final pieces in my quest to see all of the NBA arena's.

I'd be coming to DTW and here's the problem - I dont drive.

Is there anyway of managing this without racking up hundreds of dollars in Taxi fares?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,880 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pistons Dilemma

Flint, MI (FNT) is actually closer to Auburn Hills (36 miles) vs. DTW (49 miles). American flies direct out of ORD.

bishopairport.org/ground-transportation.htm might give you some ideas. It looks like MTA bus service will take you to the Palace and other locations in the area.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pistons Dilemma

pegster110,

Here is the problem, Detroit doesn't actually play in Detroit. The Palace is in Auburn Hills and taxis would be outragous from DTW or Flint to Auburn Hills. I have heard of shuttles for the games but I don't know of any specific ones, sorry. I always thought it was stupid that the Pistons play in Auburn Hills instead of downtown Detroit.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pistons Dilemma

Why not take the train from Chicago to Pontiac or Royal Oak. I believe the train still stops in Pontiac, I know it stops in Royal Oak for sure. You can stay in the Auburn Hills area and it will be much easier for your to get to the Palace via taxi or shuttle.

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pistons Dilemma

Yep, Palace poses a logistical problem. The most cost effective way is to stay as close as you can to the Palace. The area is not a 'safety' concern. If you go to http://www.palacenet.com/palace_inthearea.asp you will find a list of hotels near the palace. I'd suggest calling them and asking two things. Do they offer a shuttle to the Palace on Pistons night (or know of a bar within walking distance that does? Do they offer a shuttle or a discount on a cab from either Flint or Detroit airports?

If you pull up the address of the hotels on a map, then you might find one or two in walking distance to the palace.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pistons Dilemma

You have some good suggestions here- flying into Bishop or taking the train to Birmingham or Pontiac, putting you a little closer to the Palace. Otherwise you are looking at a couple hundred dollars in transport costs or more from DTW to the Palace to your hotel and back to the airport.

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pistons Dilemma

I'm going to dissagree with the poster that said the hotels in the Auburn Hills area near the palace pose no safety concern. That is simply not the case. Most of theese are very close to Pontiac and there have been some serious crime issues at nearly every property there. A little common sense goes a long ways. This is a light industrial area not residential.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pistons Dilemma

I disagree with the poster above, I work in Auburn Hills about 1.5 miles from the Palace and I run many errands in this area including Pontiac. I have never felt threatened in any way, keep your footing like you would anywhere and checking your surroundings out and you should be fine.

There are more then a few hotels that are located on Opdyke about 1 -2 miles from the Palace.

http://www.cpauburnhills.com/

marriott.com/hotels/…

marriott.com/hotels/…

comfortsuites.com/ires/en-us/html/HotelInfo…

This one is in Lake Orion but very close to the palace.

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pistons Dilemma

I have guests stay in this area frequently. The area is an odd buffer zone between Pontiac and Rochester. I do not feel threatened here either but at the same time it's important to remember this is an Urban area that adjoins some pretty rough neighborhoods. There are housing projects very close to this area. I do agree that if you keep your eyes and ears open all is well but it's absolutely not a worry free zone. There is also a Hilton Suites and Holiday Inn.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pistons Dilemma

Thank you all for some really helpful suggestions...!

Much appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pistons Dilemma

gobluegirl made the suggestion of getting the train to Pontiac/Royal Oak!

This seems very do-able but reading the other posts i guess i have to ask how the area around the stations would be in either of those locations and would there be Taxi's readily available?

Also thanks for all of the hotel suggestions - you are all making this seem much easier than i first thought.