We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This Weekend!

Ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
This Weekend!

Hi All,

I will be in town this Friday and Saturday and had a few questions, as it is my firt time visiting Detroit!

I would love to hear opinions on Detroit Beer Co. Also are there any other microbreweries near downtown? And speaking of alcohol :) what time do bars stop serving?

Any suggestions for a nice moderately priced meal in Greektown?

We are going to the Tigers game on Saturday and planning to make it to the Herny Ford museum. Any other suggestions of must do's welcome.

Thanks in advance

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This Weekend!

Detroit Brewing Co is usually good but at times can be hit or miss with the service but worth a visit IMO. There is Motor City Brewing Works – I have not been but they sell their GhettoBlaster Beer at Slows BBQ and it’s really good. Slow’s is by the Old Tiger Stadium. It’s a Great Restaurant with a full menu of Detroit and other area beers.

The Well is one of my favorite pubs in Detroit along with the German Pub near Greektown (help me out someone I always forget the name) Ole Shillelagh in Greektown is also a lot of fun. Go upstairs for the band and to bang on tables. You’ll understand what I’m talking about if you go. Anyone from 21 to 81 has fun here.

Bars are open until at least 2:00 am. Last call anywhere from 1:30 - 2:00 depending on where you are.

Pegasus would be my choice of a restaurant in Greektown along with Astoria Bakery.

Mentioned in this post
Motor City Brewing Works
Motor City Brewing Works
166 Reviews
Detroit, MI
Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This Weekend!

Sorry for the typo - it is Beer Co not Brewing.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This Weekend!

Kilarney = are you referring to Jacoby's for the German place?

I do believe Traffic Jam and Snug brews beer... and I think they serve Motor City Brewing's stuff not sure -- MC is across the street from TJ's just south of the Wayne State University campus.

Other than that, I don't think there are any other micro's in Detroit with restaurants or places to drink.

Here's a helpful site:

www.beer100.com/brewpubs_l_to_n/michigan.htm

Bell's beer and Arbor Brewing company - good! You can buy Bells lots of places around here. Their Oberon, served with a slice of orange, is a nice summer treat.

Mentioned in this post
Jacoby's
Jacoby's
95 Reviews
Detroit, MI
Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This Weekend!

The previous poster was right on with Slows, they have a great beer selection!! There food is great to boot! I would give them a try if you like BBQ and Beer.

I think Motor City Brewing Works is way better then the Detroit Beer Co when it comes to Beer. The Ghetto Blaster is really good. The Detroit Beer Co has much better food.

I would suggest Pegasus in Greektown is you're looking for Greek food. Also, there is Loco Bar if you like Mexican, Pizzapaplis if you like pizza.

www.motorcitybeer.com

www.detroitbeerco.com

http://www.slowsbarbq.com/

Mentioned in this post
Motor City Brewing Works
Motor City Brewing Works
166 Reviews
Detroit, MI
Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This Weekend!

Detroit Beer Co. is alright. The best micro breweries in Michigan are on the west side of the state in my opinion though. Bells, Arcadia, etc... as others have said those beers will be available at some bars in Detroit though.

2 AM is the cut off in Michigan. Expect last call to be around 1:45 AM.

I'd suggest the Pegasus but there are many good Greek restaurants all over Greektown. Part of the fun for us is walking and trying a new one each time.

I'd say must do's would be checking out Chelis on a game night. They usually have a band playing on the top floor outside. Its a pretty cool atmosphere as you get a birds eye view into Comerica Park from the top floor. Great place to get a group photo too. Since the Wings won the cup you might also check out Hockeytown. Both of these are very close to the stadium.

In the late night I think Greektown is the safest and most fun area to bar hop.

Mentioned in this post
Comerica Park
Comerica Park
2,337 Reviews
Detroit, MI
Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: This Weekend!

Thank you all for taking time to respond. Lots of great info.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This Weekend!

Yes Addie that's it! Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This Weekend!

You have some guts going down to detroit its the second most dangerous city in the world! Coming from someone in Toronto... anyways have fun

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: This Weekend!

hunnynut,

Did you notice that this post was for the weekend of July 12, 13th and Buckeye Gal has already been there and gone?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: This Weekend!

yeah soo I can still answer it no matter how pointless it truely is :]