We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far is detroit from south bend

NJ
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how far is detroit from south bend

I am thinking of going to a notre dame game in november. FLights are crazy but I can get a decent priced flight into Detroit. How far is Detroit from Notre Dame. thanks

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

203 miles

link to google maps with directions: http://tinyurl.com/4w4r95

NJ
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

Thanks. About how long does that take?

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

I have made it to South Bend from Detroit in 3 - 3.5 hours. If you're leaving from the airport it will probably take you less time as I live in Detroit proper and the airport is further west of the city. I'm not sure how much flights are from NJ to Chicago, but Chicago is about an hour to and hour and a half away from South Bend.

NJ
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

The flights to Detroit are significantly cheaper than into Chicago unless anyone has ideas for a better flight. Is that a bad idea to fly into Detroit and then rent a car to go to South Bend?? I have never been out in this area. Thanks.

Also, is there a town that anyone can recommend to stay in about midway between south bend and detroit?

Final question, how far is chicago from detroit?

Thanks

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

It would be about a 5 hr drive from Chicago to Detroit -- maybe more depending on traffic. Sometimes you can fly into South Bend at a fairly good price. If you factor in car rental and travel time back and forth -- maybe it would be worth it! The small South Bend airport is a cinch to get in and out of and is only a few miles from the Notre Dame campus. I don't know -- but the hotels near the campus might have a shuttle system for the games and airport. If not it sure would be a good idea wouldn't it?

If you flew into Chicago you could take the train from Ohare into downtown and then take the Southshore train to South Bend. That commuter train starts at Randolph and Michigan AVE downtown Chicago and ends at the South Bend airport.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
756 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

You might want to check flights into Toledo, Ohio, as well. It's a small airport, so it may not have the selection or low price of flights into Detroit, but it would cut at least an hour off the drive into South Bend. Toledo Airport is fairly far west of the city and close to the Ohio Turnpike, which becomes the Indiana Toll Road and goes straight to South Bend.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

Within two hours of South Bend you have Chicago Midway (93 miles), Kalamazoo (82 mi), Grand Rapids (120 mi) and Fort Wayne (100 mi). Any could be cheaper to fly to, but they are small airports (except for MDW) so you may have to take an extra connection which would eliminate any time saving. Also check rental car prices as they can vary by location.

8. Re: how far is detroit from south bend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Detroit