We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm back from Detroit!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
I'm back from Detroit!

As soon as I get some time this week, I'll be posting a trip report.

Let's just say that I had a lot of fun....probably too much fun.

Just a little briefing of the places that I went to:

Nemo's

Old Tiger Stadium

Comerica Park

Cheli's

Hockeytown

Town Pump Tavern

Detroit Pub

Detroit Beer Co.

River Walk by Ren Center.

It was a lot to pack into a day and half, but I did it and enjoyed every single minute.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

Glad you had a good time. You got to Tiger Stadium just in time - they are starting to take down what is left of it this week.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

It was kind of sad to see her being taken down like that. The bartenders in Nemo's and I discussed this, and I could tell that they were both very disappointed to see it happen.

I wish I could have seen a game there. It would have really been something.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

You know, I probably am going to get pilloried for this, but Tiger Stadium was long on tradition and history (both of which I like and think are important) but a lot shorter on fan comfort and convenience than Comerica Park. For starters, the upper desk at Tiger Stadium was supported by a spider web of steel uprights and girders, creating a lot of "obstructed view" seats. We won't even get into the bathrooms and other "amenities". Some of the problems could have been fixed, some not. The issue, as always, is money.

Re leaving Tiger Stadium intact or semi-intact and finding other uses for it, I don't understand the rush to tear it down in a city full of abandoned buildings. I know, but am skeptical about the claims, that it is alleged some major developer is interested in the Tiger Stadium site. Have heard that sort of thing many times. Those who favor keeping it, however, still haven't come up with financing or a business plan to make their dreams a reality.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

It is costing the city nothing to tear down as the contractor is doing it for the scrap value of the materials in the structure. Otherwise the city does have a maintenance and security cost to keep it standing. It has been vacant for 8-9 years now with no solid plans to finance it, let alone a use for it. Time to take it down, IMO.

Read some rumors over at freep.com that it could become the site for a new hockey arena. Of course the land behind the Fox (much of which is already owned by Ilitch) has been rumored to be a location for years. I could see a good plan to build a new arena in either location, tear down the Joe, and use that land to expand Cobo. Paying for it is another matter...

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

I saw many games there. It was a cool stadium but as others said there were blind spots due to its design and the bathrooms with the long connected urinal pit were kind of gross. Comerica is by far a much nicer facility but I will miss old Tiger Stadium.

Glad you had a great trip AUBeachPotato!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

Glad to hear you had a great time. I will be there next Friday. Can't wait.

As for the fan's of the old stadium. I felt that way about our old county stadium here in Milwaukee. Lots of memories. But the new Miller Park is set up so nice I love it too.

Hinesville, GA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

Hi all, Very sad to hear that Tiger Stadium is going to be gone by the time I finally get back to Detroit in July. I went to many games there growing up and was hoping to see a bit of it before it was gone. I knew it had to go, very impracticle to try to reuse a stadium that old, but it is just sad to see it go.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

TIGER STADIUM UPDATE

Because of a traffic tie-up on I-94, I drove by the old Tiger Stadium around 6 p.m. yesterday enroute to RenCen. Portions of the stadium Michigan Avenue side were still "standing". Didn't have time to drive around and to take a better look, but it appeared that only a few more days of demolition remain.

9. Re: I'm back from Detroit!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2009, 05:33