We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

Hi, I have to get from Detroit Airport to Windsor (and back) and don't/won't have a car. I'm hoping you can tell me some of the cheaper ways I might be able to do it? Thanks.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

Car hire through Metro Cars shows $51. from the Airport to Downtown Detroit. Airport taxi service is $41, for the same ride. Dependent on the location in Windsor you need to be dropped off, figure another $25 minimum, plus border crossing fee, plus tip.

Very complex arrangements and very expensive. Here's a link to ground transportation options at the airport.

http://www.metroairport.com/transportation/

Is there someone in the area you could ask to "chauffeur" you to Windsor & back?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

Robert Q Airbus, a Canadian company, has been doing the Detroit Metro Airport shuttle to Windsor for more than 30 years. Check them out at www.robertq.com for fares, schedules and to make reservations.

RobertQ has only one stop in Windsor. It is at the Holiday Inn on Huron Church Road, the road that leads to Rte 401, the main highway to Toronto. The Holiday Inn location would put you about 2 miles from downtown Windsor. Taxis are available. Hope this helps.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

ADD

Sorry, I should have mentioned that there is also a lot cheaper way to make this trip, but it takes a lot longer as well. We don't have a lot of mass transit around here but the suburban Detroit transit company (Smart Bus) has a route from the airport to downtown Detroit. It is NOT an express. From downtown Detroit, Windsor Transit operates a bus connecting the two downtowns via the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.

For schedules, stops and fares, see: www.smartbus.org and www.citywindsor.ca.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

Thank you for your replies.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone to pick me up...I don't know anyone there and am only going for a Court case.

It will cost me about $400 extra to fly direct to Windsor instead of to Detroit, so I have to find my way to Windsor somehow. Thanks for the links...I'll check them out and hopefully figure it out. Thanks again!

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

Here's my stupid response:

You are flying in to Detroit/Windsor from the other side of the world to be a witness/respondent to a trial...yes?

Why isn't the plaintiff attorney, the defendent attorney or the Ontario court system helping you with your travel expenses?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

Rental car would be the most cost effective way.

Have you looked at flying to Toronto instead? Windsor is a tiny airport with limited service, hence the expensive price. You would have to connect in Toronto anyway. It would also save you the hassle of one border crossing.

From Toronto you could either get a rental car, or take the train. It is about 350 km. Train takes about 4 hours and looks like it runs about $115 CAD round trip. viarail.ca for details.

Bellevue, WA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

I am curious how you finally got from DTW to Windsor, Ontario. I would like to do the same trip in mid-October so anything you found out would be helpful.

Thanks

Jan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

I didn't wind up going straight from Detroit Airport to Windsor. I stayed in Detroit and commuted back and forth across the border to Windsor each day for 4 days!

Originally I was using MetroCars, which weren't cheap and their prices varied from day to day, then I discovered the tunnel bus! If you want to save money going back & forth across the border, I strongly suggest the tunnel bus. It was $3.75Cdn per trip and you can catch the bus on the Detroit side at the entrance to the tunnel (there is a bus stop there)...you will need exact change to board the bus. Taxis and cars charge a fair bit to cross the border as they need their passports, have to clear customs, and can't pick up another fare on the other side. The tunnel bus goes about every 20 minutes in peak hour.

Please let me know if you want more info re the tunnel bus??

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

I am curious as to how long immigration and customs took each way on the tunnel bus.

Bellevue, WA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle from Detroit Airport to Windsor?

I'm traveling with my 8 year-old son and arrive late on Saturday night so will probably use RobertQ. The bus is just too hard to get to from the airport. RobertQ is a shuttle van that originates in Canada and specifically targets cross-border travelers. I am staying in Ontario for a week so it is a different situation. For my son and I, it costs about $75 and leaves 90 minutes after my plane arrives. I thought I might find a rental car for double that price so for the convenience was going to rent one but the cheapest car I can find is $300.