We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detroit is scary

florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Detroit is scary

I have experienced bad areas in Atlanta, Miami, Puerto Rico, Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, an Morocco. But those are nice compared with the slums of Detroit. The overwhelming number of broken windows, boarded up doors, burnt buildings, graffitti, barbed wire, trash, garbage, and stench are worse than I have ever seen.

This is end of the world stuff!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detroit is scary

Did you plan your trip ahead of time or just stumble upon these areas? The reason I ask, is in reading your previous four forum posts, you said similar about downtown Atlanta, San Juan, and you dislike the Atlanta airport too .

What did you see & do there? Where'd ya stay? Inquiring minds want to know.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detroit is scary

Yes, where did you stay? What area were you in? What did you do? I stumbled across some rough area's in Miami that really made me appreciate Detroit, however that wasn't Miami in a whole. I could say the same thing about Memphis and Houston, there were some crazy areas, but the actual downtowns were very nice and safe.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Detroit is scary

Same can be said for Nashville, Chicago, Cincinatti, Toronto, Niagara Falls (ONT), Chattanooga, cities I've been and "stumbled" into questionable neighborhoods. Actually, I really can't think of an urban/suburban area that I have visited that is not without some blight. If you look hard enough you will find it. There are indeed "scary" parts of Detroit, but there are also some GREAT parts of the City of Detroit.

florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Detroit is scary

I visited Grosse point, downtown and an area around I 94 and I 75. Does not matter if I planned a trip or stumbled upon the areas: they were awful. Yes I dislike the Atlanta Airport, it is always delayed and always too crowded. Yes Many other cities have bad areas, that does not excuse the denizens of those slums from destroying them. I have no respect for people who trash a neighborhood. Michigan is a pretty state and Detroit is an eyesore.

New orleans has Metarie, the Garden district, and trashed areas. Being the murder capital is also a detriment. Atlanta, Miami ; Ditto.

It is a shame how the city government has let these cities go to the dregs.

I feel that all tourists need to be informed of the risks involved when traveling to dangerous areas. The local chambers of commerce certainly will not tell you anything negative, and usually neither will so called "destination experts".

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Detroit is scary

Well I don't get over there often but when I do I love to visit the Eastern Market. I actually logged a lot of hours there as a kid in the back of my dad's truck. …wordpress.com/2009/08/eastern-market-detroi…

I bet many here can tell you a few spots that they'd recommend to anyone visiting. As far as "so called destination experts" I do my best to answer travellers questions accurately as I'm sure most do.

detroit, mi
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Detroit is scary

Grosse Pointe is scary??

Must be all those manicured lawns and mansions on Lake St. Claire, and cute little houses near Kercheval. Too bad about Atlanta, am going there tommorrow for my fourth visit, never been mugged yet. Great town.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Detroit is scary

"I feel that all tourists need to be informed of the risks involved when traveling to dangerous areas. The local chambers of commerce certainly will not tell you anything negative, and usually neither will so called "destination experts"."

I think that if you read through this forum you will find that the destination experts and others are very clear about some of the problems of Detroit. There are countless "Is is safe to go _________" questions and they get answered candidly.

I also question your definition of scary. There is nothing about the downtown area I have ever been scared by. Sure I have been approached by the homeless looking for handout or seen them sleeping on a manhole cover to warm up from the steam tunnels beneath the streets. That happens everywhere that has a poverty problem. Poor does not equal scary.

Grosse Point is one of the richest places in the country, but does border a poor neighborhood of Detroit. I94 & I75 - depends on which side.

To the north is an abandoned industrial wasteland, to the southwest you have the Wayne State and Cultural district - not sure what may have scared you there. Southwest is a depressed part of the old Poletown neighborhood, but it also has the second oldest restaurant in the city (Ivanhoe Polish Yacht Club), which is a great place. Sure there are abandoned and burnt down houses down the street - but I've never felt threatened there the 100 times or so I've been there.

I've heard a lot more positive reports than negative from visitors, both here and in person, about what a great time they had in Detroit - especially since they had heard the negative reputation. Of course there are areas where tourists don't belong, and really have no reason to be. It is up to the traveler to research any place they are going to and be aware of their surroundings.

I'm curious to what major city the OP thinks is not scary? I can't think of any large city - world wide - I have been to that does not have the same problems as the city of Detroit. Maybe there should be a world forum so we can have posts like "The World is Scary".

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Detroit is scary

LOL @ Pkbroch!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Detroit is scary

I am not originally from Michigan, but have lived here long enough to know that there are large swaths of Detroit (including downtown) that are flat out depressing. As a frequent traveler, I have observed that all cities have bad areas, but Detroit does seem to have a higher percentage of abandoned, derelict buildings, empty tracts of land, etc. than most.

THAT said, I also know that there are fun and lively parts of downtown and honestly don't regard Detroit to be "scary" in the sense that Groid claims. If it were that bad, I would not go there frequently but would avoid it like the plague.

Zoke2 raised an interesting point. Groid has posted only 5 times on Trip Advisor forums and each one of those posts is a complaint. No place is all good or all bad, so Groid's uniformly negative takes make me wonder if he/she is one of those incurably pessimistic travelers, sort of the Johnny Appleseed of alarmism and doom. In any case, "de gustibus non est disputandum". Groid is unlikely to change opinions and, you know what?, I am OK with each of us having our own as well. Time to move on to a happier topic.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
117 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Detroit is scary

You have to look at both the good and the bad. Yes Detroit has a lot of bad, but there are hidden gems there too. I was just in Detroit this morning for a meeting in the Fisher Building, and I had not been there in a few years. I had forgotten how beautiful that place is! Such wonderful work was put into that building. I felt completely safe going there alone. The Detroit Institute of Arts is another example. Most places we have visited have their bad areas- frequently located just behind or on the edge of the "tourist" areas. Detroit will take a lot of work to fix after the neglect and abuse it has suffered true, but it still is alove with interesting things to see and do.

Get answers to your questions about Detroit
Recent Conversations