We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

I live in Livonia. My daughter is coming home from college for the holidays and is bringing a Russian student home with her. Just found out today. Not sure I will have time to make something Russian, so I am wondering if there are any good authentic Russian bakeries/restaurants in the SE Michigan area where I could pick something up.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

The only Russian restaurant that I know of.. .and I think it is still in business, is Fiddler in West Bloomfield. It is more Russian-Jewish.

I know there is large Ukrainian population in the Detroit area (In addition to Polish.) So I would think there would be some sort of bakery.

Here is an interesting reference article I found online:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mlmakin/BioMaterials/RussDetroit.pdf

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

Thanks. I read the article with interest and will follow up on a few places mentioned there. Unfortunately time is short now right before the holidays. N

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

Give Gold International Bakery a try in Southfield. They are located on 10 mile. You should be able to find what you're looking for.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

"Give Gold International Bakery a try in Southfield. They are located on 10 mile. You should be able to find what you're looking for."

I will try them gain. I called them once and they hung up on me.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

Sorry they hung up on you......way to treat your customers! Ugh!

You can always try the Polish Bakeries in Hamtrack, I know they have some pastired and bake good that are similar to Russian ones.

New Deluxe on Conant is my favorite.

New Palace on Joseph Campea is very good too.

I guess you could use the Polish Bakeries as back ups.

6. Re: Russian Bakery in Southeast Michigan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Detroit