We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Detroit

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
65 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Detroit

I would like to say that I love Detroit and I am very disappointed with the Hilton Garden Inn for what happened this weekend. We tried to check in three times during the day and each time were told that our room was not available. The hotel took our bags to hold them for us. Returning after our event at 11:30 pm we were told they were sold out... even though we tried to check in early and they had our bags. Without leaving this out, they did put us up in another hotel. However, this was a huge inconvenience and we did try to check in early three times prior. My suggestion would be to go there on a day that there are no games nor events to ensure that you will have a room to sleep in that night. I did speak to the General Manager this morning and he was nice and said that he will address the situation with his employees. However, I would think twice before booking again.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Detroit

Sorry to hear this. I have often recommended HGI based on my experiences there which have always been top notch.

Even at last year's Tiger's season home opener we arrived at HGI at 8:30 AM and got checked in and were in our room within 15 minutes despite the craziness related to the season opening game. I never expected to get checked into a clean room at 8:30 in the morning but was way impressed with the way they were staffed and ready for the influx of people related to the game.

Sorry your expereince wasn't as good.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Detroit

Sorry for your trouble, but this can happen at any hotel. It is commonly referred to as being "walked". Hotels, just like airlines, overbook - expecting no shows. Not sure of their criteria, but I would bet you might have had a discounted rate and they chose to give the room to someone who paid rack rate. Many hotel programs also allow their top level elites guaranteed reservations, basically meaning they bump someone for a frequent customer who is paying the top rate just to get the room. Could also have been a maintenance issue, someone not checking out as expected, etc.

They are required to get you a room nearby and take care of cab fare or whatever, which it appears they did in this case. Usually they will give you something else, like a future free night or some hotel points, to make up for the issue.

If the manager didn't offer you anything, I would write a short, factual, non-emotional e-mail to Hilton and ask for a future free night or some HHonors points. You will probably get something for your troubles.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
65 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Detroit

thanks! I did email HQ as well. I had this happen once before and it was the night of the Kenny Chesney Concert and they nothing for us we were on our own that night. However, at least it was earlier in the day.

4. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 07:18