We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mall Shopping

toronto
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mall Shopping

We're bringing our 17 yr. old grand daughter into Michigan for some "power shopping". We will stay one night in the Troy area and the 2nd night near Birch Run. Trying to find out the best shopping malls (variety, price, teen stores) in the Troy area - we're looking at Twelve Oaks, Great Lakes Crossing, Lakeside, Oakland....any advice on which malls to focus on??

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Troy
Troy
Michigan
Shinola Bicycles
Gift & Speciality Shops
John K. King Books
Gift & Speciality Shops
Third Man Records Cass Corridor
Gift & Speciality Shops, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mall Shopping

Somerset in Troy will be the most upscale. Great Lakes Crossing is huge and probably covers most of the rest of the stores out there.

Mentioned in this post
Troy
Troy
Michigan
Detroit
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mall Shopping

I would visit either Twelve Oaks, Somerset, or Great Lakes Crossing, because each has a wide variety of stores. Partridge Creek is also a nice outdoor mall in Clinton Twp, MI, but it does not have as many stores.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mall Shopping

Somerset, hands down. It is large and also the most upscale mall in Michigan. It is a more interesting and nicer shopping experience, but pricier of course. Besides, if you will be staying in the Troy area, why waste time going elsewhere?

Great Lakes Crossing is a an outlet mall and you will find it more or less duplicates what you will find at Birch Run (you said you are going there as well). No reason to avoid GLC if you have time, but just be aware of what it is. Both Birch Run and Great Lakes Crossing have websites, so I strongly recommend doing a little research on each. GLC does have movie theaters and a couple of stores that Birch Run does not.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Troy
Troy
Michigan
Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mall Shopping

I would suggest Lakeside and Partridge Creek with staying in the Utica area. You have two malls within two miles of each other with the following department stores: Macy's, JC Penny, Lord and Taylor, Sears, Parsian and Nordstroms. Along with all these stores you have the usualy Banana Republic, Express, Ambercrombie, ect. There is also a ton of other stores in between the two malls like Kohls, Target, Old Navy, TJ Max, ect.

http://www.shoppartridgecreek.com/

http://www.shop-lakesidemall.com/

toronto
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mall Shopping

This would be do-able since we're staying in Troy and then heading the next day to Birch Run. So would you recommend Partridge/Lakeside over Great Lakes/12 Oaks for a 17 yr. old shopper???

Also can you tell me if you know where there is a Bed, Bath and Beyond Store near Partridge/Lakeside...can't find one on either website. Thx.

Mentioned in this post
Troy
Troy
Michigan
Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mall Shopping

I'm a little older than 17, but I prefer Part Creek/Lakeside over the others. Lakeside and Part Creek is fairly close to Somerset/Troy....about a 20 minute drive. Yes, there is a Bed, Bath & Beyond by Lakeside. There really is every store in that area........they are all on M-59/Hall Road inbetween M-53/Van Dyke and Romeo Plank Road. There is also a plethora of different restaurants and places to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Troy
Troy
Michigan
toronto
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mall Shopping

ok...that sounds like a plan! Any funky restaurants that my grand daughter might like?? It's her shopping trip! Thanks.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mall Shopping

I would suggest Cheeseburger in Paradise if ya'll like cheeseburgers. There is also PH Changs, Brio (good Italian) and many other chain restaurants in the area.

9. Re: Mall Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:18