We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

Hi everyone, my family and I live in southern Ontario and we are thinking of booking a flight out of DTW. I have never been to Detroit but wondered how easy it is to get to the airport. Is it easy to follow I 94 through the city, we would be crossing the border at Sarnia/Port Huron.

Thanks

ddawger.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

Yes, you would take I-94 from Port Huron directly to the airport (exit 198). It's about 15 miles past Detroit. I-94 is the northern boundary of the airport, so it's pretty difficult to miss.

There is a great deal of construction on I-94 between Port Huron and the airport, so you may want to leave a bit of extra time. You can check the latest info on construction at the Michigan Department of Transportation site. michigan.gov/mdot/…00.html

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

It's easy and the unofficial speed limit is 80+ miles per hour.

I've heard a few commercials saying the airport dropped it's parking rate to 10 dollars a day. It was 17 dollars a day last time I used them. U.S. Park and a bunch of others on Middlebelt Road are good enough and have fairly quick shuttles to the airport.

Ontario
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

Thanks for the information, I will check out the construction in advance. We may stay at an airport hotel the night before and leave the car while we are gone, one of the park, sleep and fly deals.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

I think the big blue deck dropped their price. Ok if you are flying from the north terminal but can be a looooong walk as I recall. Bad choice if flying from McNamara (Delta) horrible shuttle service.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

The last couple of times we did Park Sleep Fly out of DTW the hotels provided vouchers for the Airlines Parking lot. Very convenient as their lot is right across Merriman Rd from the hotels. Shuttles @ Airlines Parking are very efficient on your way to the airport and easy to find on return.

Hotel cost by the time you take out the parking fee (you are going to have to pay to park somewhere) was very reasonable and you don't have to worry about traffic or an accident holding you up on the way to the airport the day you fly.

Lots of hotels to choose from.

6. Re: Driving to DTW airport from Port Huron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 06:17