We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Downtown to Midtown

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Downtown to Midtown

I'm planning a trip to Detroit in the fall, specifically (and finally) to visit the Detroit Institute of Art. I'm looking at staying one night at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown. I'm the kind of person who likes to walk whereever I go, so I'm thinking about the 2.5 mile walk from the hotel to the gallery. The trip seems to be mostly along Woodward. Does anyone see any potential dangers for a couple of 40-something white guys with cameras taking this route on foot? I've never been to Detroit and I'm asking solely because of the reputation that the city has acquired over the years - so an education on the realities is more than welcome here.

I live in a big city and have travelled to many big cities around the world. The 'run-down' look doesn't deter me, nor does the odd homeless person. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Downtown to Midtown

It isn't a dangerous walk. I don't consider it to be particularly beautiful, but it isn't terrible either.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Downtown to Midtown

I have done it on numerous occasions and I am from lilly white Finland. there are a few dicey spots along the way near the hospital area. I wouldn't flaunt your camera about to attract attention. Woodward Ave has improved over the last few years but if someone stops you asks for change or something to eat it wouldn't be surprising. Alternatively you can jump on a d-dot bus for 1.50 to the DIA - You will love it there -it is a true Detroit gem and directly across the street is the public library -another masterpiece. also Wayne St University is also there a real nice urban campus with world class architecture. Have fun in Detroit

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Downtown to Midtown

Woodward has been cleaned up a bit in the hopital are, there is a Starbucks and some other businesses that have been added. I don't see potential problems in this area. Just keep your eyes open like you would anywhere else. Happy travels and enjoy the DIA.

BTW - there is a great crepe place by the DIA if you're into that kind of thing.

Suburban Detroit
Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Downtown to Midtown

Indeed. It's not attractive, but just be smart about it, like with any big city. Of course, it CAN be tiring, though -- standing and walking around looking at exhibits all day may not be conducive to an enjoyable 2.5 mile walk back! :)

Though if you're at all interested in microbrews, there's an excellent little microbrewery on Canfield, west off of Woodward itself, called Motor City Brewing Works. Small place, eclectic, and not super-fancy by any means (their air conditioning consists of opening all the doors for whatever cross-breeze might come through), but fantastic pizzas and good selection of beers.

5. Re: Walking from Downtown to Midtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 06:17