We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

Would love some advice. Have never flown out of Detroit before.

We are staying overnight at Springhill Suites on Merriman Rd Friday night and departing Delta from McNamara Terminal Saturday morning.

We return on Southwest into the North Terminal.

I generally hate off site parking and usually opt to park at the Airport.

However I have read some reviews online saying the Big Blue Deck is not that easy to use.

We are only away 3 days, so cost is not too big of an issue at all.

I was considering two options.

First we could Park at Quick Park, or Airlines Parking on Merriman across from the hotel. That would make the pick up and drop off at different terminals a non issue.

Second, I could park in the Big Blue Deck, and take a shuttle bus to McNamara on departure. I was even considering pulling into the McNamara lot and paying $3 to park for 1/2 hr to drop off our bags and check in with Delta in the Parking Lot, then Drive over to the Big Blue Deck and park.

Would we be able to check bags in the lot in 1/2 hr Saturday at noon?

Which one of these options would you use?

Any other ideas I have not thought of?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

It is just my opinion, but my choice would be Airlines Parking, without question. I would choose Airlines Parking over any parking option on the airport grounds, but given that you are leaving from one terminal and returning via another (and they are not connected or even close to one another), off-site parking would be the fastest and most convenient option available to you. Parking in on airport property, at least at Detroit Metro, has shockingly little to recommend it.

Honestly, what exactly would you be accomplishing with either variant of using the Big Blue Deck? You certainly would not be saving either time or money, nor would you be sparing yourself needless stress. In fact, it would take AT LEAST twice as long and be much less convenient and stressful. In the time it would take to drive to the Big Blue Deck, cruise around searching for a parking spot, remove your luggage from the car, navigate yourself and your bags through the deck and then wait for the shuttle, you could comfortably have parked at Airlines Parking and already be at the McNamara Terminal.

What about the option of driving first to McNamara with your bags, looking for a parking space, checking in with your luggage and then going back to the Big Blue Deck, and returning to McNamara via shuttle? It makes no sense to me, unless you want a little pre-flight cardio exercise. Re your Q whether it is possible to park at McNamara, check your bags and get back to your car within 30 minutes, I think it depends how you do it, how many people there are in your party, and whether you will be traveling in a peak period, but I think that it easily is doable if you use curbside check-in for Delta.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

You may be overlooking one more option. Your hotel has a Park Here, Fly There option, which includes up to 8 nights parking at Airlines Parking, for only an additional $12 for the night you stay there (based on a quick room rate check).

On Airlines Parking website they have a coupon for an $11/day rate ($10 with AAA), but if you do the Park/Fly option you're essentially only paying for one day of parking for the three days you'd be gone.

See the specific rules/rates at the Marriott site for the Springhill Suites or call the hotel directly.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

We always use Airlines Parking. Very helpful and friendly people!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

Last time I took a shuttle (probably 3+ years) from the Big Blue to McNamara, it took over an hour to find one. Don't bother with the extra hassle for more expensive parking. The hotel park and fly rate is going to be your best option.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

Airlines Parking....very convenient and efficient.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

Thanks all, Airline Parking it is.

Appreciate all the replies.

ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

Go to the Airlines Parking website - click on the PARK, SLEEP and FLY at the bottom of the page. This will bring you to a page where you can print off a coupon, you book directly on the SpringHill Suites site and bring this coupon to present on check in . Friday nights rate for the hotel and up to 8 days of parking at Airlines parking is $89.00 WITH the coupon. We have stayed on this package before and the hotel is great.

Level Contributor
3,517 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

We have used the "big blue deck" parking a couple times while flying out of McNamara. We never had an issue with shuttle pick-up. Just call 1 800 377 1032 (airport shuttle number) from your parking space and they will send a shuttle directly to your location. Never waited more than 10 minutes. Park here, shuttle to McNamara, and then your car is right where you want it to be when you return.

9. Re: Parking at Airport, Depart McNamara, Arrive North ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Detroit