We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

My husband will turn 30 on New Year's Eve this year. I would like to surprise him with a quick trip somewhere to celebrate. We would only be staying 2 nights. I would like suggestions within a 3 hour drive of Detroit, and keep in mind it will be New Year's Eve. We are both fans of the outdoors and enjoy wine/beer. He would be happy with an outdoor activity followed by "going out" in the evening for drinks or to celebrate New Year's with the locals. If you can suggest a dog-friendly location/hotel, that would be even better! Thank you!!!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

Snowmobiling up north maybe (depending on snow). I looked into a cabin and rentals in Cadillac a few years ago, but never ended up putting it together. Lodging was cheap (and probably dog friendly), but the sleds get expensive if you have to rent. Probably not something you can plan in detail until the snow starts flying somewhere though.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

You might also look into the Benmiller Inn in Goderich, Ontario (www.benmillerinnandspa.com). The place has fewer than 60 rooms and is is popular with Torontonians, so it is wise to make New Year's Eve reservations now. They likely will have a full house, special dinner or party, etc.

Benmiller gets lake effect snow, has an interesting and charming historical location, decent cross-country skiing and other winter sports, an on-site bar and restaurant and an indoor pool. I have stayed there about 4 times over the years (most recent was in 2007), winter and summer and always enjoyed it. Drive from Dearborn is about 3 hours. Take I-94 to the Bluewater Bridge. Not sure about dogs, so you would have to call them to be sure. You will need passports.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 19:59
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

Harbor Country, MI is an easy drive for you and is always a nice trip with a wide variety of lodging options (hotels, B&B's, cottages etc.)

See:

harborcountry.org

harborcountry.com

visitharborcountry.org

We visit the area several times a year with a wide demographic of friends and family, and always have a great time. There are cute towns with unique/interesting shopping, wine/beer tastings, and an abundance of restaurants/bars.

Not sure what they have going on party-wise for NYE, but I'm sure the above websites would help in finding something.

Have fun!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

It's a bit more than three hours (depending on where in the D you're coming from) but I'd recommend Traverse City or surrounding areas. TC will be festive at new years...it's a big enough town to have a lot going on, but still has that "up north" charm. There's plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation as well as a slew of great restaurant and bar options plus some of Michigan's best brewpubs and microbreweries.

Midland, MI
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

Midland is hosting its first New Years Eve celebration outdoors on Main Street and beyond. It will feature the biggest ball drop in the state, lots of live music, comedians, etc. Right now the cost is $10 a person, until Dec 17 I think. The H Hotel is Euro style and swanky, right on Main Street, so you wouldn't have to drive home. It is going to be hopping. There are many restaurants and a pizza place right on Main Street, too.

Check out: http://midnightonmain.org/

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

Hi,

I just got an email from Pure Michigan that lists a bunch of New Years Eve special packages around the state. Maybe something in there will be a good fit for you:

www.visitgreatlakesbay.org/nye-packages-241/

7. Re: Birthday Trip on New Years Eve- 3hrs or so from Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 05:17