We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Malls in Detroit

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Big Malls in Detroit

I'm planning a 2 day trip in to Detroit and have one full day planned for shopping. I haven't booked a hotel yet. Any advice on any BIG malls near DTW airport to book near to. Any advcie on tight budget hotels in the area chosen?

Ypsilanti, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

Fairlane Mall is a good size Shopping Mall in dearborn, not too far from the DTW Airport! The Henry Ford Museum is also close to the Mall. Another Must do while you are in town!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

Fairlane, as stated. Try Comfort Inn Greenfield Village or Red Roof in Dearborn. Both have good reviews and are reasonably priced.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

Here's a recent discussion of large shopping malls in the metro Detroit area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42139-i475-k49397…

Once you target where you want to go come back and I'm sure people can help you pinpoint a place to stay.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

If he wants to stay close to Metro, would the Novi area be better than Great Lakes or Somerset? I'm sure Fairlane wouldn't be a first choice but it seems to be closest.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

Yes, those two would be closest for sure, but without knowing what he's hoping to shop for or what his transportation is it's hard to say what is the best choice would be.

I was surprised at how much Fairlane had slipped when I read about it in that earlier thread since I hadn't been there in many years. It might be a real bust for this shopper, depending on what he's hoping to buy.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

You're right...depends on his priority. He may be interested in the "Big Box" stores.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

As others have said as well, please let us know the kind of shopping that you want to do and we can offer some more specific advice.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

I really appreciate the quick replies!

Actually I was planning on buying a few things for our "baby in the making," men's clothes and if I'm able to save enough on accomodation then also a laptop. I'm coming in on an international flight through DTW airport and don't plan on renting a car so I guess public transportation or a hotel near a suitable mall would be the best choice.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

I strongly recommend that, if possible, you consider renting a car. A car would give you a lot more flexibility re where to shop, stay and eat. Re hotels, all of the malls have hotels nearby. The problem is how to get to them.

The Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn is the closest mall to the airport and it is reachable by public transit (bus). Travel time is at least one hour each way and requires a change of buses. Depending upon your arrival terminal at Detroit Metro Airport, it may also require additional wait time and a shuttle bus to the North Terminal, which is the originating point for buses. From the North Terminal, take the #280 bus north to Michigan Avenue, then transfer to the #200 bus to the Fairlane Town Center (be sure to ask the driver where to exit the bus). For schedules: www.smartbus.org

There are several hotels near the Fairlane Town Center; the two most convenient ones are on the outer edge of the mall property (but not connected directly to the mall): the Hyatt Regency and The Henry (which is a former Ritz-Carlton and is part of Marriott's signature collection of hotels). Both hotels are within walking distance of the mall (essentially, just walking across the mall parking lot).

The Henry is the better hotel of the two, recently was remodeled and updated and has very attractive pricing. My relatives just stayed at The Henry over the US Thanksgiving week-end last month and were quite impressed vs. previous visits. The Hyatt is OK and would be second choice. Other hotels in Dearborn are one mile or farther from the mall and have no public transportation (except taxi).

With luggage, it is better to taxi from the airport to either hotel.

Re other options, there simply is no practical bus transportation available from the airport to one of the more desirable shopping malls like Somerset Collection in Troy, MI (3 hours + by bus); or Twelve Oaks in Novi, MI (2 hours). Taxi is possible, but would be very expensive $60-66 each way, plus tip. Even a taxi to the Fairlane Town Center mall in Dearborn would be about $33 each way, plus tip.

If you plan to stay in Dearborn, here is the link to Fairlane's stores: http://shopfairlane.com. There are other nearby stores that you might want to check out for clothing and computers. Best Buy would be first choice for laptops and computer-related products. There are two Best Buys within a short taxi ride of the Fairlane Town Center.

I

Edited: 11 December 2011, 22:36
Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Malls in Detroit

Dearborn was a great suggestion, thank you, but I chose to go to an area named Novi where there are a few hotels near he 12 Oaks Mall. Are there any nearby computer shops or electronic shops in that area? Any idea how much a cab from DTW to that area would range(time/money)? Is Novi a safe neighborhood?

Thanks for everything once again!

Edited: 14 December 2011, 00:38