We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor to Chicago

Waterford, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Windsor to Chicago

Hi, I was wondering if there is a train in windsor that go's to Chicago Illinois?

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor to Chicago

Amtrak has a train,351 Wolverine, that runs from Detroit,MI to Chicago,IL.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor to Chicago

Technically I believe you can take ViaRail to Toronto, then pick up Amtrak into NY and back west through PA, OH, IN. Of course it would be much easier to take a taxi from Windsor to the Amtrak station in Detroit (near Woodward and Grand Blvd). Also look into Megabus - you can get fares as low as $1 if you book far enough in advance. The bus/train trip time is about the same.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor to Chicago

Definitely cross the border from Windsor to Detroit and either take Amtrak or the Megabus to Chicago.

I suspect that you already know this, but tev9999 has a good sense of humor in mentioning the "alternative" train route. Technically possible to do, of course, but insanely impractical as it would be about a 16 hour trip from Toronto to Chicago that way. If you took VIA to Toronto, the trip would be even longer. It also would require an overnight stay in Toronto as the first VIA from Windsor (or any other place along the Windsor-Toronto route) gets to Toronto in the morning but well after the scheduled departure of the once a day Amtrak train to Buffalo and points west to Chicago.

4. Re: Windsor to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:18