We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ford Field Detroit - question

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ford Field Detroit - question

My son and I are traveling to Detroit (from Toronto) for a Saturday night Lions game. Haven't booked a hotel, but am about to (Westin Book Cadillac).

The game starts at 8:30 and will end around midnight.

Question is how best to get to and from the game - I am told I can walk (in terms of distance), but not sure about whether that is a good idea on the way back at midnight.

Other than driving and parking - is there another option? Not sure if I can book a cab for the way back.

This is our first trip to Detroit, so any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

The walk from Ford Field to the Book Cadillac building is not far and the streets will be packed with Lions fans. When there's a Lions game downtown, whether it's a day or night game, every street is busy and more than safe.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

Walking should be fine...

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

Thanks for your responses - but if I wanted a cab back, can I pre-organize or call for one?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

Problem is that vehicle traffic is blocked around the stadium. By the time you walk a couple blocks to find a cab, you are half way there. I doubt a cab driver will want to take such a short fare just to fight traffic back to the stadium. It is only a half mile walk.

Michigan
Level Contributor
818 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

Alternately you could take the People Mover from Grand Circus Park or Broadway, and get off at Michigan Ave station. However as you can see from the map, that really doesn't save you much walking.

www.thepeoplemover.com/map_interactive.html

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

Hey Haff,

Doing the exact same thing, coming from Burlington/Hamilton area and staying at the Westin Cadillac and going to the game.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

Hey PaulyHand44: Nice (we're coming from Oakville). I was planning to ask the hotel concierge about this as well - at worst, If I don't feel comfortable, will just drive to and park at the stadium.

BTW - I booked the hotel through Hotwire (I can still see it available there) fairly cheap - message me if you want any help on that.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

I booked the Westin already and got it for 109 via a special code I found online through a package they had called Home for the Holidays.

They had a football package that was over 200, but I used the HOMEPKG code and got it for 109 including valet parking for one car.

Maybe we can meet up for a drink.

9. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 December 2012, 21:04
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ford Field Detroit - question

I would recommend deleting your post with your e-mail: you just signed up for a lifetime of spam. Use the private message function if you want to send someone your e-mail address.

It is very difficult to park right at the stadium without spending a small fortune. Parking was intentionally limited around Ford Field and Comerica Park to make people walk from the other areas of downtown and stimulate local business.

You are worrying too much. The worst that might happen is a begger approaches you for a handout. They are not dangerous. As long as you are not walking around flashing wads of cash while wearing 1" thick gold chains and diamonds, you have little to worry about.