We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Used cars in the Detroit area

San Diego...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Used cars in the Detroit area

This may be a strange question in a travel forum, but I need to buy a used "basic transportation" car for my son, who is a college student at EMU in Ypsilanti.

I will be traveling there for 3 day at the end of March. Don't know the area well and won't have much time to go all over the place. Is there an area of Detroit where we can find a number of used car dealerships?

Thanks.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 14:47
Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Used cars in the Detroit area

There are used car dealers everywhere. There are several along Michigan avenue. Ypsilanti is actually about 20 miles from the city of Detroit itself, so don't search in Detroit.

Is your son already at EMU? You will need a permanent MI address and insurance to be able to buy and register the car.

I would rely on Yelp, Google and the other review sites to get an idea of the good and bad dealers. Have your son ask around school too. Staying with a major GM/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/etc. dealer would probably be the safest to not get scammed, but they may not carry as "basic" as you want.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Used cars in the Detroit area

www.autotrader.com lists 250+ cars (at dealers) within 10 miles of zip 48198 that are priced at or below $7,000.

Check Consumer Reports & other sites for reliability (years / models) to avoid.

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/…

Edited: 04 March 2013, 06:01
3. Re: Used cars in the Detroit area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 06:16