We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

Hi Everyone

I am travelling to Detroit in May (20-23) with my husband who will be doing business during that time. I have looked at the forum but really cannot find what I want to know which is what is the best hotel to stay at where there is shopping nearby? I understand by reading you really need a car to get around Detroit to see the sights and I will be doing that with my husband when he is not busy but will need to entertain myself while he is busy. Any suggestions for a hotel???

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Shinola Bicycles
Gift & Speciality Shops
John K. King Books
Gift & Speciality Shops
Third Man Records Cass Corridor
Gift & Speciality Shops, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

Where exactly in Detroit will he be for business? Is it downtown, or out in one of the suburbs? That will be the primary driver of where to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

There is no shopping downtown. 30 min+ to somerset mall in troy or novi's twelve oaks mall.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

Hi tev9999

My husband will be going to Plymouth??? We will have a car but my husband will be using it.

Thanks for replying

Steph

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

Plymouth is on the far western suburbs of Detroit. There is plenty of shopping in the area, but getting around without a car is not that easy. Not much is walkable in the suburban sprawl.

Look for a hotel that offers a free shuttle to get you around. Holiday Inns are usually good for this.

Ann Arbor would also be a good choice. It is not far from Plymouth, and has a very walkable downtown area.

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor
Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

Downtown Plymouth is absolutely adorable. There's a cute park downtown too. A little shopping, but not any major stores.

You could keep yourself busy for a day at least in Plymouth. Friday nights they usually have live music in the park.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

Thank you tev9999 & TeamDom74 for your replies. Yes I agree I don't think it will be easy to get around so I've done some negotiating and we have worked out a plan! Can't wait to see Detroit!

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

And can't wait to see Plymouth as well! Sorry it is difficult not to talk in the general area rather than the specific when you haven't visited an area before.

8. Re: Most accessible Hotel to Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:16