We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

We are coming back to Detroit the week of 12/29 for the Winter Classic. We are staying at The Inn on Ferry Street in Midtown for the first time and we have NYE dinner reservations at Roast (so glad they plan to reopen 12/26!). I have a few questions.

1 The hotel has a free shuttle for limited hours within a 5 mile radius so I know our ride to the restaurant is covered. If we stay downtown after dinner, are there good odds of getting a cab back to the hotel after midnight? I realize Detroit is not like Chicago in terms of taxis but I wasn't sure if the holiday changed things at all.

2. What is downtown like on NYE? Our reservations are for 8:30 and the restaurant has some special things planned for the night if we stick around but we weren't sure what other things might be going on. We're not interested in something like the party at Hard Rock (we're in our late 30's so we still like to go out just not into the club scene so to speak)

3. Food & drink suggestions for midtown? We have some non hockey time to spend around the hotel and aside from the museums would love suggestions for lunch, dinner, and a good beer. :)

You guys have been awesome so I'm looking forward to the input!

Happy Holidays!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

Here are a couple of places that are fairly close to you in Midtown: The Whitney and Union Street. Both are on Woodward Avenue. The Whitney is in an old mansion (worth tour) and has an upscale vibe. Union Street is more informal, with an eclectic menu.

Roast is in the Westin Book-Cadillac Hotel and the Book-Cadillac is one of the few reliable spots downtown where cabs usually are lined up waiting for passengers.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

I'm not sure of your musical preferences, but after dinner at Roast, you could walk to Cliff Bell's. It's a laid back jazz club and they're charging $25 cover on NYE. Here's the website where you can find more details:

http://www.cliffbells.com/

Sky Bar would also be a great option (walking distance) with terrific views of the city. I'm not sure what their plans are for NYE (their website doesn't list anything).

For restaurant recommendations, I second the Union Street suggestion. We eat there all the time. While not in midtown per se, these other options will be close:

Supino's Pizza

Mario's (also has brunch buffets on special occasions)

Hudson Cafe (excellent breakfast)

Will you have a car while you're here? There will be more cabs running downtown on NYE, however, to pick one up you should stick to a more main street (Washington {Roast} and Woodward) to hail one successfully. You could always have whatever bar you're at call one for you, but on NYE I'm not sure what the wait time would be. Luckily, the Roast is in the Westin Book Cadillac building, so the odds of catching a cab there (being a hotel) might be better.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

Thank you for the suggestions! I think we will definitely put Union Street on our list for this visit. Does anyone have any thoughts on Traffic Jam & Snug or Slow's? Both have been on our "wish" list of places to try on future visits but I've been reading extremely mixed reviews of both places.

Oh, and yes, we will have a car but are just trying to avoid driving on NYE or as we like to call it "amateur night". :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

Slow's is awesome, you have to get there early or expect a significant wait....

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

Well, my personal opinion is that both Slow's and Traffic Jam and Snug--while local favorites--are a bit over-rated when it comes to food. Slow's is much smaller, often crowded and has a nice, casual feel to it. Traffic Jam is just a bit less casual, very large and has a more varied menu. I go to both with friends a couple of times a year and have been to both within the past 30 days. They are OK, nothing really special IMHO. Of the two, Slow's is more fun and I like their food better, so long as I am in the mood for barbecue. Traffic Jam? Depends upon time of day/day of week. Often, it is not at all crowded, probably because it is so big.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

I agree, while Slow's is raved about, I found it to be just okay. Red Smoke in Greektown is slightly better and doesn't seem to get as busy as Slow's. I would try them incase Slow's has its usual 2 hour wait time.

Another fun place to try while in town would be Small Plates. Great for lunch or a light dinner. We love it.

Pizza Papalis is a Detroit tradition, but I would only visit if you're hungry and have about an hour to spare. The pizzas take quite a while as they're Chicago style.

Detroit Beer Company is a great brewery downtown (on Broadway). They have excellent bar food and a wide range of brewed on-site beer selections.

I also saw Firebird Tavern (in Greektown) is hosting an NYE party. They're newly opened so I'm not sure what type of crowd it will draw.

Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

Thank you already for the honest feedback and great suggestions. We're still not decided on dinner tonight so it may interesting!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

Let us know where you go!!

9. Re: NYE Questions & Midtown Food Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Detroit
Recent Conversations