We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly hotel with pool - attending auto show

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly hotel with pool - attending auto show

Hello, we are planning on attending the auto show this month and are looking for a family friendly hotel, with an indoor pool. Trying to figure out if it is worth it to stay near the Coho center and/or people mover, or just drive in from a suburb. Any recommendations are appreciated!!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly hotel with pool - attending auto show

On the plus side, staying downtown means being closer to Cobo, being able to ride the People Mover to and from the auto show and generally having a downtown vibe (people, restaurants, etc.) BUT, it also means paying for hotel parking, which needs to be considered when comparing prices between downtown and suburban locations (which generally have free parking). Note: if driving in from the suburbs, you also would have to pay to park at the Auto Show, but that fee is cheaper than overnight parking at a downtown hotel.

DOWNTOWN HOTELS WITH INDOOR POOLS. Take a look at the MGM Grande, the Westin Book Cadillac, the Hilton Garden Inn, the Courtyard, the Holiday Inn Express and the Crowne Plaza.

Among suburban hotels within a comfortable driving distance, Dearborn (15 minutes from downtown) has a number of them with indoor pools: The Henry (formerly the Ritz-Carlton, but now part of Marriott's Autograph Collection); Adoba (formerly a Hyatt Regency), the Doubletree, the Courtyard,he Comfort Inn.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly hotel with pool - attending auto show

You may have a hard time finding availability downtown this late, at least at a decent price.

I know the Best Western Sterling Inn in Sterling Heights has a small water park for kids. No idea on the quality, but I am sure there are plenty of review out there. That would be about 20 minutes to downtown (non rush hour).

Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly hotel with pool - attending auto show

I really like Courtyard, if you can find availability for your dates. In addition to the People Mover stop in the building, there's a walkway over to RenCen for access to all the eateries, shops and movies over there. It's also an easy walk to Cobo when the weather is a bit kinder than today's icy -10.

The Crowne Plaza looks to have some availability (though of course not at a bargain price) and it's directly across the street from Cobo. However their pool/fitness facility is not nearly as nice as Marriott Courtyard's, in my opinion. And though the restaurant in Crowne Plaza is wonderful, it's perhaps not what you'd want for children so you may still need to go out for meals.

I agree that the Dearborn area is your next best location. I think Sterling Heights is too far of an inconvenient commute. There are a cluster of hotels in Warren at Van Dyke and 12 1/2 Mile that wouldn't be too bad a commute, and also a number of places in Madison Heights near I-75.

kayak.com is an easy multi-site search tool, and lets you specify "pool" as an amenity. If you're looking at the January 17-19 dates, they are showing availability at Marriott Courtyard for $159. http://www.kayak.com/r/HVAEB_4vOu

And yes it is unfortunate that the downtown hotels will all get you on the parking. Sadly I don't know of a way around that.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 16:06
4. Re: Family friendly hotel with pool - attending auto show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:20