We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Travel

Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Travel

Just realized that our flights from DTW leave the day before Thanksgiving! Just wondering if it is as crazy as we are worried it might be and if anyone has any advice to make it a little less stressful?

Thanks!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

That is one of the busiest travel days of the year throughout the US. Make sure you get to the airport plenty early. Other than that, not much you can do.

Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

Any advice on just how much extra time we should allot? We usually give ourselves 2 hours so should we go at least 4? Sorry I know I sound clueless but we have never flown so close to a holiday before and we want to be prepared.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

I see 2 issues ... Boarder crossing & airport lines/crowds.

Hopefully your flight are early, as that gives opportunity to make alternate plans if weather causes problems.

If you are 1st class or preferred (vip TSA line) that helps, but your allowing 2x the time it is probably a good idea.

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

On the Morning of your trip make sure to check web sites for time to cross the Ambassador Bridge and the Windsor Tunnel. The Bridge is closer to the airport but you can zip out of the the downtown with no problems.

Depending on how long you might be traveling - the hotels near the airport offer stay and park for like $55..

The Comfort Inn / Clarion Detroit / Days Inn are all options.

To park at the airport costs you about $10 so staying at the hotel and having your parking taken care of is one option and will most assuredly relieve you of all stress.

Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

Thanks for the advice. Definitely thinking a stay and park would be a safer idea and not much more cost the the park n fly parking. If we do stay over night in Detroit would you still recommend arriving at the airport 4 hours before our flight? We aren't flying first class but we are wondering if the vip TSA line allows Global Entry enrollees? Is it located near the regular security area? Thanks for all of the tips... it really does make the process a little less daunting.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/faqs

I'm in the car where I don't like reading, but it appears that you can use the TSA pre line

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

Four hours is a little much. Three hours should be fine. It may be the day before Thanksgiving but the lines will move. But again go with what you feel comfortable with doing.

Good luck and have fun

8. Re: Thanksgiving Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Detroit
Recent Conversations