We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masonic Temple Theater & Beer

London, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Masonic Temple Theater & Beer

Hi there, I've been reading the forum and it's full of good advice so maybe you can help with my specific situation. We've been to Detroit for the day many times but this will be our first overnight trip. We're staying at Hilton Garden Inn on a Wednesday night at the end of July to see a concert at the Masonic Temple. We will have a car but we will park it once we check into the hotel so we can have some drinks.

So, what's the best place to have a few drinks and something to eat before the show, and what's the best way to get from the hotel area to the theatre area? Is it walkable? Cab?

We've been to Roast happy hour a few times and love it. We are huge craft beer fans and would like to try some local beer if we can. Is there anywhere near the Masonic Temple with a good beer selection? Any areas we should avoid walking after the show?

Also, anything local & interesting foodwise we should try the next morning for late breakfast/lunch?

Thanks for your advice!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Masonic Temple Theater & Beer

It is about 1.25 miles to walk from the HGI to the Masonic Temple. It is also on the fringe of the not so nice area between Downtown and Midtown. Walking is questionable, especially after the concert. You have a half mile of vacant/run down area between the stadium district and the theater. If you don't want to drive, I would go with the cab option.

There is not much near the Masonic. You are better off near the stadiums for food/drink. The Park Bar (behind the State/Fox Theaters) has a great selection of MI beers, along with awesome Shawarma from Bucharest Grill next door. Bookie's also has a good selection, and the Town Pump is a solid bar, but I don't believe they have many taps.

If you do want to walk it, just head up Cass from the stadium area. When you cross I-75, Harry's (Henry Street) is not a bad place to stop for a beer break if you need one.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masonic Temple Theater & Beer

I vote for taxi. The walk to the Masonic is pretty unappealing in daylight; dismal and threatening-looking at night.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masonic Temple Theater & Beer

Thanks for your help! We will walk around downtown for happy hour/dinner but will cab to the theatre.

Sadly, Roast just announced they're closed tomorrow for a special event, so we'll have to find another great happy hour.

4. Re: Masonic Temple Theater & Beer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:15