We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive

MI
Level Contributor
93 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive

Curious about how much walking is required at each stop. Will be traveling with elderly mother.

Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Williamston...
Level Contributor
884 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive

I wouldn't say that much walking at all. Some stops are just pulling off to the side of the road and getting out. Others you pull into a parking lot but the walk from them isn't that much either. There was a place or two where you could walk a trail, but those are optional.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive

even if she can't get out at all, the drive itself is still worth it.... but yes, not much walking at all at most of the stops....

Edited: 14 May 2012, 04:45
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive

At the most popular stop, the Lake Michigan stop (I don't recall the number), there is a bit of an uphill walk on a paved path. There is a bench or two at the top. Then there is a bit of a walk (I believe it is all paved now..) to the lookout, which involves, I believe, another slight elevation and a few steps. There is bench seating on the lookout, so she can rest and have a wonderful view of the lake and dunes, and from there, you can see the huge drop of the sand dune to your left, down to the lake. When you first reach the top of the paved path, people go right to the edge of the dune as far as they can/want, (this involves walking thru the sand) and still cannot see how the dune drops or get to see the people climbing up and down this dune. So, do not attempt that-go right to the lookout to achieve this. I have seen many people, esp older people, try stopping at the dune drop first, and then are too tired to make it over to the lookout! Well, I hope this doesn't confuse you....LOL!

Reply to: Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Empire