We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Campground - Sleeping Bear Dunes

Indiana
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best Campground - Sleeping Bear Dunes

Would like to camp in a travel trailer for a few days at Sleeping Bear Dunes next summer. What is the best campground? If staying at Sleeping Bear Campground, what sites do you recommend? How close are the campgrounds to the beach? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Campground - Sleeping Bear Dunes

We really like Platte River Campground. It's a short drive or bike ride from the campground to the closest beach (public, fee beach). There are access points to Platte River within or just outside the campground...it's a shallow, slow moving river. There are canoe and tube trips available from a little outfitter just outside the campground. The river empties out into Lake Michigan right at the beach I mentioned and it's a great spot to play...nice and sandy and the river is always warmer than the lake so its fun to float down the river and out into the cooler lake.

We TT camp quite a bit and prefer Platte River Campground to any of the State Parks we've visited. The sites are large and well spaced, the facilities are in good repair and very clean and the rangers are super friendly. Platte River is definitely my recommendation for a SBD campground and probably one of my favorite campgrounds in MI. Site 111 is my favorite...fairly private with a bit of space between the neighboring sites and conveniently located.

Have a great trip!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Campground - Sleeping Bear Dunes

Concur with Platte River Campground -- it's our favorite at Sleeping Bear. We like loop 4 but, really, all the loops are fine. It's about a mile walk from the back of the loops to the beach. I strongly recommend making reservations way in advance (can be made 6 months prior.)

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Campground - Sleeping Bear Dunes

I 100% 3rd Platte River ---one of our very favorites in MI.

Indiana
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Campground - Sleeping Bear Dunes

Thank you all for your comments regarding the Platte River Campground. I will be sure to check it out. Your time is appreciated!

Reply to: Best Campground - Sleeping Bear Dunes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Empire