We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay on beach, walk to restaurants/nightlife?

western usa
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Stay on beach, walk to restaurants/nightlife?

Hi, I need your help. I don't know the Lake Michigan coast, but will be visiting family in Kalamazoo. I will have two days and one night to spend with my lifelong friend; we get together only a couple times a year.

Can you recommend nice accomodations on the beach where we would be able to walk to (and more importantly back FROM after enjoying cocktails) restaurants, nightlife? Even though it will be mid week in July I was hoping to find the perfect spot.

For two women in our 30's taking a well deserved break from taking care of our families, ambiance is important.

If not in Grand Haven should we try Holland, Saugatuck, South Haven? Looking for the closest downtown to the beach I guess. Fun, upscale restaurant recommendations would be welcome as well! Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo County, MI
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Holland
Holland
Ottawa County, MI
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay on beach, walk to restaurants/nightlife?

I have never been to Grand Haven, but absolutely LOVE Saugatuck. There are many downtown things to do, most walking distance from one another. I haven't stayed at a hotel near the shopping/dining area, but the next place I will be staying at: check out this link. http://www.beachwayresort.com/amenities.html

Mentioned in this post
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay on beach, walk to restaurants/nightlife?

This may be too late, but I'm certain you'd love it here in Grand Haven. There are MANY good restaurants and bars in the downtown area, which is on the Grand River leading into Lake Michigan.

Check out the Harbor House(http://www.harborhousegh.com/) for a beautiful place to stay. It's only two blocks from all the action, and it's a short, safe walk from your evening's activities.

Outdoor decks abound, both on the beach and overlooking the water. If you come here check out the Kirby Grill (there's a deck on the roof) and the Snug Harbor (deck overlooking the river and boardwalk). For great wet burritos visit the Tip A Few for a very 'relaxed' time.

There are many opportunities for outdoor seating, all within two blocks of the Harbor House.

Within about five minutes' drive is the Days Inn in Grand Haven or the Holiday Inn in Spring Lake.

Bed and breakfasts also abound. I hope you visit our great town. You won't regret it.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
The Harbor House Inn
The Harbor House Inn
134 Reviews
Grand Haven, MI
The Kirby
The Kirby
65 Reviews
Douglas, MI
Snug Harbor
Snug Harbor
408 Reviews
Grand Haven, MI
3. Re: Stay on beach, walk to restaurants/nightlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 06:27
Get answers to your questions about Grand Haven