We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer vacation

Which Grand Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Summer vacation

Looking at the first week of August family of 6 with kids from 12-24.

Normally we go to Destin, FL at beginning of summer but we (parents) are taking our anniversary trip.

We went to Traverse City years ago. I remember passing and looking at South Haven and Grand Haven areas and liked them.

Which would have more to do? Condos or houses on the beach. Would prefer a larger condo if it had a pool.

I know it's not Florida but since it will be August considering going North instead of South.

Thanks!

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
931 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer vacation

Normally I'm a huge proponent of our town. We have lots of great bars and restaurants, many with outdoor seating, miles of bike paths, county parks with beautiful hiking trails, gorgeous big public beaches, and the list goes on. However, the first week of August is our annual Coast Guard Festival. This is one of the largest festivals of it's kind in the country, annually attracting several hundred thousand people in the span of a couple of weeks. Most hotels, B and Bs, inns and houses are booked well before now, and the crowds are massive during the week. If you like a large festival atmosphere and don't mind crowds, by all means spend some time here. If, however, you want a more typical experience, if possible schedule your visit around this event. You'll get a much better feel for the true character of this beautiful area. Check out some of my posts re: the area and you'll find a lot of info.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer vacation

How about Holland? View our visitors guide here: extra.hollandsentinel.com/AllAboutHolland/.

Grand Haven is only 20 minutes away so you can take advantage of the Coast Guard festivities. I especially love the parade and fireworks!

3. Re: Summer vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Haven