We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Grand Haven

Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weekend in Grand Haven

We will be in Grand Haven for our first time this weekend (I have a 17 & a 19 yr old) and I've perused the restaurant listing here, but there is not much on the "Things to do". We love beaches-which ones are the best, I prefer not too crowded? My daughter runs XC for MSU and needs to do some long runs. I read that there is a bike path. Any suggestions on the most scenic route?

Where is the best place for local seafood?

Where is the best place to buy fruit to bring home to can or even already frozen? My teens might enjoy picking whatever is in season. Is there an infamous cider mill around or is it too early for that?

These links were great that I found in the forums, so I saw a list of beaches and fruit places. I would appreciate any comments on what you recommend:

http://www.visitgrandhaven.com/top-10-15/

http://grandhaven.org/

thank you, Mary

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Grand Haven

The beach should be less congested than normal with the cool weather coming this weekend.

And your daughter will find numerous bike paths for her running needs.

I would suggest going over the drawbridge to Spring Lake staying straight at the Holiday Inn towards and past Millpoint Park as the more scenic route.

Only dining suggestion I can offer is a pronto pup or two in Grand Haven just west of downrtown. : )

Edited: 16 August 2012, 00:14
Indy
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Grand Haven

Beach..our fave there is North Beach. Love it. Great scenic overlook too.

We've also done Rosy Mound in past and it's quite nice. A little more work to get to but worth it.

Green Acres ...fresh fruit and they have great cider. We got the blueberry .Yummy. Address: 15971 Lake Michigan Dr

Of course there's the farmers market at Chinook Pier on Wed and Sat too.

I would guess the Grand for fresh seafood. Heart of Downtown in old theater. Gets good reviews on yelp. Also there's Jelly's which is slightly more upscale. Good reviews also.

We also love Old Boys Brewhouse across bridge in Spring Lake for a more casual atmosphere. Live music on deck weekends at 7pm. If you catch fish on a charter, they will cook it for you there!

For running, I would suggest the Lakeshore Bike Path would be a good long running route. Scenic and can go as far as she wants [it's 20 miles one way].

Have a great time!

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
989 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Grand Haven

Point to point around Spring Lake is 20K (I used to run it regularly). However, if she takes Sheldon from Grand Haven and heads south, she can run the bike path along Lakeshore Drive. There are a couple good hills for a workout. Since she's a XC runner for State, a great workout is to run Sheldon / Lakeshore Drive (all bike path once you get out of town) to Rosy Mound Natural Area (on top of the hill, just past Rosy Mound School) and run their trails. It's about 200 steps over the dunes each way with a great boardwalk to run on through the dunes by the lake. With a return run to town she'll get in a quality 11-12 miles. Rosy Mound Park has water fountains for hydration, as well as bathrooms (www.miottawa.org/ParksVI/Parks/rosymound.htm).

If you're staying in town I'd suggest the state park / city beach for your kids. It's going to be cool (70 ish) but sunny. The state park is a very active scene, particularly for high school and college age kids (families too!).

Blueberry season is over and it's too early for apples, which are a bit further north. As TNT said, Green Acres is about 5 miles south of town at the corner of M-45 and US-31. They have an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies, and the farmer's market will be open on Saturday, which is just a couple of blocks from downtown.

If the weather is nice enough, I recommend sitting on the deck of the Snug Harbor for lunch or dinner and people / boat watch the very active boardwalk and channel. There are also several resturants in downtown GH that offer outdoor dining. Old Boy's has a really nice deck to sit on as well, but it's a few minutes away in Spring Lake.

If you have any specific questions re: the area, feel free to PM me. Enjoy your visit to the area, and GO GREEN!

4. Re: Weekend in Grand Haven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Grand Haven