We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bikes or not?

Which Grand Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bikes or not?

So the wife and I (along with our Corgi) are coming up in a couple of weeks. The wife wants to bring our bikes. We are both shall we say "big boned" and haven't really been riding our bikes for a long while. I'm afraid she is romanticizing the idea of easy bike rides vs. the reality of hills and traffic (not to mention bringing the bikes). She even wants to get a little doggy trailer for the corgi. I thought I would get some opinions from folks who know about how bike friendly the areas we are going to are, in terms of places to go, is it "hilly", good for the very novice rider, etc.

We have rented a house about 5 blocks from Downtown Grand Haven (Hello Odd Side Ales) for about 4 days and then we are moving on to a loft in Downtown Traverse City (Hello Right Brain Brewerey...as you can tell, I am a beer geek).

Thanks for any advice!

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
784 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bikes or not?

Grand Haven boardwalk, not favorable for biking with heavy beach traffic.

South of Grand Haven there has been some discussion earlier about the bike path being hilly. I will just say I remember walking my bike a lot,lol. But that was after 30 miles.

Bike path towards Spring Lake is fine for the first few miles then you hit the drawbridge hill............. and on the other side it's even worse.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bikes or not?

Thanks...It's not like we will be taking long bike trips. We are talking a mile or 2 at most.

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
784 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bikes or not?

Then a ride to Harbor Island would be perfect.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
931 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bikes or not?

As Greg said, due to the crowds the boardwalk definitely favors walking vs cycling. The road along the beach (Harbor Ave) is definitely not for the faint of heart on bicycles. It's narrow and very busy. Unless you're not dedicated cyclists you're better off renting locally. I'm quite sure you can also rent a trailer for fido as well.

The roads along the waterfront are flat (and busy), but once you go inland a block or so it can get hilly, since we're actually built on sand dunes.

The GH bike paths south of town start after a couple of miles and are fairly flat for a short while. The bike path around Spring Lake is 12 1/2 miles.

You could just ride over the bridge to Spring Lake and sit on the deck at Old Boy's Brewery and then return to GH, as well as visit Odd Sides.

These will help get you started:

http://www.visitgrandhaven.com/

visitgrandhaven.com/bike-shops--rentals-211/

Have great time here. And if you want any more suggestions for good microbreweries, pm me and I'll fill you in.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bikes or not?

The Traverse area has paved trails (which are way easier for riding than gravel). Rail-to-Trail routes are generally pretty flat since they are former rail lines, making for easy biking. I'm not a die-hard bike rider, but I would definitely be bringing my bike with me if I were headed to that area:

http://traversetrails.org/

We travel with our much loved little dog, but I wouldn't want the expense and hassle of a bike trailer to haul him with us, especially since you'll only be going out on short rides. Though I'm forced to admit that I'm like your wife and enjoy having the dog along. He is small enough that he fits in my backpack, with a short leash clipping him in so he can't fall out. I have taken him for short rides that way and also given him rests when we are on long hikes, all of which he loves.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bikes or not?

Thanks Folks! I think we will bring the bikes since TC sounds like a good place to ride. Trying to find a dog trailer to use as well.

Topfan...I'm a big beer nut, so I should have all the info, but always value a locals opinion on beer. I thought about bringing some out of market stuff to share with folks up your way.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
931 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bikes or not?

If you go to Holland there's a new micro brewery just east of New Holland. It 's called Our Bar. Pretty cool little place. Have fun.

8. Re: Bikes or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Grand Haven