We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Vacation to Michigan

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Summer Vacation to Michigan

My family (my husband, 7 year old, 3 year old, and 2 year old) will be traveling to Michigan from Cincinnati the first week of August. This will be our first trip to Michigan. With all the research I have done, I have found Grand Haven to be the best area for what we are looking for, UNTIL I found out that the Coast Guard Festival was that week. I am looking for an affordable beach town where my family can enjoy the beach during the day, and enjoy the town at night, with things for us to do as a family (such as putt putt golf, tourist shopping, etc). Can anyone make any suggestions to me? Grand Haven sounded wonderful, but I am not sure we would truly be able to enjoy ourselves with the crowds. HELP!

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Vacation to Michigan

Ludington!!!!! Visit the #1 rated state park 5 miles north of town. Free beaches right in town. Drive to Silver Lake State Park for the sand dunes. Lots of places to stay in town. Nice kids parks close to downtown.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Vacation to Michigan

St Joseph is the perfect beach town for families with young children. Beautuiful beaches, cute downtown with kid friendly public art ( things like cars , farm animals and dogs -- each year is a different theme) for kids to climb on, 2 great Children's interactive museums, a Carousel, an Interactive run thru fountain, playgrounds at the beach, lots of ice cream shops and kids friendly restaurants. That time of year will be Blueberry season -- lots of fun to do a family U- pick em. I have spent lots of time picking blueberries and there are always lots of moms and kids doing the same thing. there is also a cupcake truck and place to rent cute surrey like bikes and you might even be in town for the fun Chalk the Block event -- Artist making great chalk "paintings" on the blocked off street. Mini golf is only a few miles away in Benton Harbor. There is also the lighthouse pier to walk on and enjoy sunsets. I could go on and on! Check out www.sjcity.com

Edited: 26 January 2014, 16:03
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Vacation to Michigan

Here is another website for you too: www.stjoetoday.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
309 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Vacation to Michigan

South Haven is the perfect place. Beaches, shopping, restaurants, it is a very cute little beach town. They have a cute little lighthouse, bike rentals and (since it's blueberry season) lots of blueberries!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Vacation to Michigan

second st joe.

you can always do day trips to nearby beachtowns such as south haven, saugatuck and grand haven....

but for little kids, st joe hands down.....

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Vacation to Michigan

oops, i just realized your question was answered numerous times in a previous thread. my bad.

7. Re: Summer Vacation to Michigan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2016, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Grand Haven