We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GR restaurnats and shopping

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
GR restaurnats and shopping

Will be in GR a week for convention in early September. Looking for good restaurants to eat and we like to try the best in local restaurants. 9 guys 3 Doctors and rest business professionals.

We will be staying at a hotel close to the convention center. Some of us are at the Amway.

Anything we should not miss while visting the city?

LaFontsee Galleries
Gift & Speciality Shops, Art Galleries, Art Museums
DENYM
Gift & Speciality Shops
Old World Olive Co
Gift & Speciality Shops
Middleville...
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

Normally early September is quite warm. If any of the people in your group like to fish, they will have a one of a kind experience fishing the Grand River in the downtown area. It might be early, but the steel head might be running.

The B.O.B is a hot spot for restaurants and clubs about 3 blocks from the A.G.P. (Amway Grand Plaza). You may want to check and see what is going on at the VanAndel Arena. There is a good chance a great concert is playing.

There are many many restaurants up and down Monroe and Pearl Streets and Cygnus in the A.G.P. that are locally owned and fabulous.

Within walking distance you also have the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum and burial site, the VanAndel Musuem, Devos Performance Hall, and of course the Convention Center.

Feel free to contact me through the TA personal email if you need specific questions answered. While I don't live downtown anymore, I did for a few years.

Mentioned in this post
The B.O.B.
The B.O.B.
67 Reviews
Grand Rapids, MI
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

Good post from Winter...the BOB is a great, fairly lively joint...several bar and restaurant options inside and usually draws a pretty good crowd.

Also, I'd like to suggest a few restaurants you might not find otherwise...

San Chez...a tapas bistro is located right on Fulton downtown on the same side as the Van Andel Arena, but about 2 blocks up the hill. Great tapas style eatery with a fun and funky atmosphere...don't miss the pitchers of sangria...my favorite!

Vitale's...great Italian...make sure you're at Vitale's original restaurant and NOT one of the Vitale's pizza joints. The address is 834 Leonard NE...my favorite Italian in GR!

Charlie's Crab...On Market St. just off 131...the best seafood in GR. They have a rotational menu, but if they offer the Hurricane Shrimp while you're there, go for it!

Mentioned in this post
Van Andel Arena
Van Andel Arena
378 Reviews
Grand Rapids, MI
Middleville...
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

I agree with all of those suggestions too! FYI Charlie's Crab is a chain if that is something you consider when choosing a restaurant.

Oh and I forgot Founder's Brewery up Monroe. Don't miss it!

Michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

Hi,

Many have given some good suggestions, but here's my two cents:

If you like seafood, you may want to try Leo's instead. Not a chain, and very excellent menu. We eat there several times a year. I like Charlie's Crab too, but like the competition Leo's is giving them. http://leosrestaurant.com/

If you are in the Amway Grand, and don't mind spending some money, try either Cygnus or the 1913 Room. The latter is one of only 50 AAA 5-Diamond restaurants in the country. Detroit doesn't even have one. The 1913 Room is my favorite place for a "splurge" dinner. (Read my review if you're interested). 1913 also has a "Grill" area which is more laid-bcak, but with similar food. Cynus is also good, has a wonderful view and was recently remodeled. http://amwaygrand.com/dining.html

I hear good things about the Chop House on Monroe, but haven't personally been there. Near the Boar's Head pub, which is also good.

Behind the arena is a great Irish pub called the Black Rose. Excellent food and brews. Not as pricey. Has music on some nights.

Also in that area is Bistro Bella Vita, another favorite of mine. Wonderful cocktails AND menu in a fun setting. http://www.bistrobellavita.com/

All of these would be a pretty short walk from where you'll be.

Oh, and I second San Chez for Spanish tapas. Wonderful space and the food is always great. http://www.sanchezbistro.com/

If you need more ideas, let us know.

Kris, who lives near downtown and goes there to eat a lot

Mentioned in this post
The Chop House - Grand Rapids
The Chop House - Grand...
312 Reviews
Grand Rapids, MI
Bistro Bella Vita
Bistro Bella Vita
503 Reviews
Grand Rapids, MI
Middleville...
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

Once agan I 2nd everything in the above post. As you can see, Grand Rapids has MANY choices for food.

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

One of our groups wants to kniw if there is a ladies club close to the Amway? I think he looking fo a table dancer. Another is interested in a cigar bar.

The BOB sounds like a great place ! Is it?

Middleville...
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

If you are referring to a gentleman's club where there are lady dancers, from what I understand the nicest is Sensations. Of course I am myself a lady so, I haven't been there. The address of Sensations is:

Sensations Showgirls, 3525 E Mall Dr Se, Grand Rapids, MI 49546

(616) 940-0100

3525 E Mall Dr Se, Grand Rapids, MI 49546

A great cigar bar is Stogies inside the BOB. The last time I was there it was still around. The BOB is know for keeping things fresh ans switching out restaurants etc. periodically. And yes, it is a great place.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

Last time I heard Charlie's Crab had three restaurants, GR, Naples Fl. and an old Train Station in Pittsburg. I've been to all three. The food in GR is very good, and nice views of the river.

IMHO, Roses in East Grand Rapids is as good as it gets in GR, help me Deadhead, the same people have another good restaurant to the north east. They I believe also own the BOB. I'd take the time to go to Rose's only a couple of city miles, and is on Reed Lake. Maybe their outdoor deck is finished. It wasn't last time I was there.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
East Grand Rapids
East Grand Rapids
Kent County, MI
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

Rono...I think you're thinking of Blue Water Grill...the same people (The Gilmore Collection) own the BOB...they're a great organization and really know hospitality...Rose's is my absolute favorite lazy Sunday breakfast joint in GR. I wouldn't hesitate to visit any Gilmore restaurant.

As for a gentleman's club, Sensations is great, but it's a bit of a drive from downtown...your buddy (yeah right...lol) might want to check out Showgirl Galleria (same owner as Sensations) which is right downtown I think on Market st...look for the big glowing neon building that looks like it should be in Vegas. It's new since I've lived in GR, but my buddies say it's great!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill
182 Reviews
Grand Rapids, MI
The Gilmore Collection
The Gilmore Collection
9 Reviews
Grand Rapids, MI
10. Re: GR restaurnats and shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Grand Rapids