We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is GR a place to go to skilling

Hong Kong
4 posts
Save Topic
Is GR a place to go to skilling

I am a newbie in skiing. My wife and I are planning to have a short trip in Mihigan for visiting GR, Grand Haven, and ... skiing in Southern or Northern Michigan. Could any guy tell me how to plan this trip? Is it worth for us driving 2 hours to the Northern Michigan for skilling or just going to the nearby Southern ones? Please help ... Anyway, thanks. :)

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is GR a place to go to skilling

If you are a newbie to skiing, Cannonsburg offers a really good rate on Sunday evenings. It will be good enough if you havent skiied before, although Caberfae Peaks is probably the best closest ski area that I would recommend to you. (1 hr 45 min.) If the weather is bad, I would skip the drive up to Cadilac and just go to Cannonsburg for sure.

If you need restaurant recommendations, there is a post a few down that will help or I can give more.

Thanks

Art

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is GR a place to go to skilling

I tend to think just the opposite, if I were a newbie skiier on a quasi-ski-weekend, I might well be turned off by the crowded, inadequate runs at Cannonsburg. It's been several years since I've been there but it was always little more than a quick fix for a skiing jones while in GR.

If it were me, I'd drive up to Nubs Nob or Boyne Mountain and have a really enjoyable ski trip...these would require at least an overnight stay, but the skiing, the ambiance and overall experience would be much better. If you're not up for an additional overnight stay, I'd at least drive up to Crystal Mtn for skiing or at a bare minimum, Caberfae Peaks.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is GR a place to go to skilling

Or, go to Cannonsburg to get your ski legs under you the first day, then the next day go to Caberfae or Crystal Mountain. Caberfae would not require an overnight stay. Crystal is borderline, you could do either. Nubs Nob, for sure is a good one, but would require an overnight stay in TC. Those are the 3

I would recommend for better skiing in the Lower Peninsular.

Art

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is GR a place to go to skilling

If you do go to one of the up north ski areas I wouldn't recommend a stay in Traverse City, it's actually about an hour from Nubs Nob. If you choose Nubs, I'd stay in Harbor Springs or Petoskey...with either of the Boynes, you can stay right on property or one of several nearby accommodations.

5. Re: Is GR a place to go to skilling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 05:17