We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family fun in Holland

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Family fun in Holland

We will be heading for Holland this weekend for a baseball tournament. We would like to enjoy some of the areas fun sites as this is our first time there. We have three children ages 7-14. We would like to come early on Friday. Our thoughts are that we could go to a beach---and then eat dinner out later. Our first game isn't until Saturday afternoon. Can you give me some ideas about--what beach we should visit....and any ideas about a good restaurant for our family? Also....I have read some unfavorable reviews about the Windmill Island and Dutch Village. Is there anything else that you think we would like better---for something to do Saturday morning?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family fun in Holland

Definately the beach and that would be the State Park (2215 Ottawa Beach Rd)or Tunnel Park (66 Lakeshore Drive) both are very close to one another. I'd add the Saugatuck Dune Rides to your list (http://www.saugatuckduneride.com/home.html)It's about a 15 minute drive south on US 31. Take exit 41, turn right toward Saugatuck and it's on the right about a mile down. You could do this also on your way up from Chicago. I think maybe people have too high of expectations for Windmill Island and Dutch Village. They have a great farmer's market downtown. I don't know your price range but dinner Friday could be at Boatwerks or The Piper, both on the water and moderately priced. The Piper offers thin crust pizzas, at least last time I was there. There was also a riverboat type ride on Lake Mac, but I couldn't tell you where to catch it as I only saw it from Boatwerks one evening.

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
883 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family fun in Holland

My wife and I always enjoyed Dutch Village on our weekends stays in Holland.

Nothing great but a nice stroll through the buildings.

There is a place called Crazy Bounce that the kids might enjoy.

We also are fans of the Steak & Shake in Holland.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family fun in Holland

Star Of Saugatuck Boat Cruises is what Rono is thinking of when he mentioned the River Cruise.

Click the link below to go to their web site.

http://www.saugatuckboatcruises.com/

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family fun in Holland

YooperBacker yes, but there is also one on Lake Macatawa in Holland. I thought it was the Star but they say there is one there also. Is it the same company? It's not the same boat.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family fun in Holland

Thank you so much! I think we will try and do the dune ride on the way...and then check out Tunnel beach. I also looked at Piper's menu--it looks good as well. I really appreciate your input. Thanks so much! We're looking forward to a great weekend! ....now let's hope the baseball team does well too! :)

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family fun in Holland

I think you will enjoy theh Piper very much-a good place to take kids, too. Their pizza is great and you can have a nice view, also. Take a walk around the marina after dinner, located right next door. Have fun. We have enjoyed both Windmill Island and Dutch Village with our kids, but it has been several years. I don't think they are a bad place to visit...and you will love Tunnel Park. One of our very favorites.

kanpur
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family fun in Holland

hello everyone !!!! holland is really a very beautiful place and ill really enjoy there if i had chance to there and i wsh all who or going there tahthavea happy journey and enjoy!!!!!!

<a href="http://www.sapience.741.com" rel="dofollow">sapience</a>

8. Re: Family fun in Holland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Holland