We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

Which Holland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

I heard about tulip festival in holland, mi.

Was wondering if I can take my parents to enjoy it. My dad walks with crutches, he won't be able to climb stairs and all. Is it a gd idea to take him for this festival? It's 5 hr drive from where I live, just trying to make sure if it'll be worth..

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

Here's the website for it. There is a phone number all the way at the bottom.

http://www.tuliptime.com/

I would suggest calling them to ask your question AND to check on the tulip blooming timing. I suspect that the tulips may have already bloomed or are close to blooming now because of the warm weather.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

The early tulips might be blooming, but the majority of tulips are planted/timed to bloom around Tulip Festival, early-mid May. But they might bloom a bit early this year due to the warmer weather we have been having. However, they will not bloom that early, maybe latter April. And it is now cold again....alas...lol.

I think there is plenty of activity to keep your father engaged during Tulip Time. You can always come a bit later or earlier, to avoid the crowds. You will still see plenty of tulips. Do call the number provided and have them send you any information they serves your needs.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

I drove down Washington (one of the major tulip lanes) Sunday. About 5% are in bloom and all plants are up with buds ready. They're definately going to be early this year and I doubt can hold off two weeks let alone a month.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

Thanks for the updates, I called the number given on website, the lady said the same thing, this year tulip festival might be without any tulips..

Thanks everyone for the comments, I might skip it this year..

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

Or, you might go when the tulips are in bloom this year. You'll avoid the crowds and probably get better deals on lodging.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

I'm With Next---go early and enjoy the tulips and miss the bigger crowds and maybe there are some better rates available! Hmmm, maybe we will take that advice.

Our tulips here are no where near blooming; sorry about my info!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

I'm with the others that say go this year and you'll avoid the crowds, but see the tulips. The tulips are great, the crowds aren't!

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

Lots of great comments on this thread! It's true that some of the tulips will be blooming early this year, thanks to the warm spring. However, we encourage people to come and visit early for the tulips and return for the great festival events if possible!

Additionally, during the festival, there will be wheelchair rentals available in GDK park next to ColdStone Creamery on 8th Street. A few other local businesses also offer wheelchair rentals year-round at reasonable daily rates for those who aren't as mobile. Please call the Holland Visitors Bureau with any questions! 800.506.1299

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

Hi--I thought of you this morning when I was reading the paper. This is the perfect year to see the tulips at their peak, avoid the big crowds, and save money on lodging.

In today's Free Press there's a little blurb about how the tulips are expected to peak mid-April and the Holland Visitor's bureau has lined up lodging discounts for visits during this time period.

You can see their specials at holland.org

10. Re: Tulip festival - accessible for disabled seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:43