We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Access

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Beach Access

I have been researching the beaches in and around Holland. I see that Holland State Park charges a fee to enter and its $8 per person. Is that correct or it is $8 per car? Are there any other beaches that you can access for free? I do not mind driving to other beaches. I have a 4 yr old and staying at the beacdh all day is not an option so i am looking to get the most bng for my buck.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Access

For non state residents it is $8 per car for the day. Holland State Park has a lot to offer for $8. Tunnel Park is a Ottawa County Park about 3 miles north of the state park. They also charge a daily use fee. If you get to the state park early enough in the day, there is a very small beach area on Lake Mac that many of the campers use. Its located right across from the Ottawa Beach Inn Restaurant near the campground. There is very limited street parking, and this beach would not be on Lake Michigan. I believe that I saw a porta potty close to the Lake Mac swimming area. The area is more weedy and the beach sand is not as nice as the Lake MI area. This is also the area where water crafts,boats,stand up surf boards, etc are rented so there is a lot of water traffic.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 18:29
Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Access

thank you very much for the information.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Access

michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/details.aspx…

You'd never know it from their website ... they bury the info. who knows where ?!?!

In-state is $10 dollars per year. Out of state is $8 dollars per day or $29 dollars per year ... and that is per vehicle and as many people as you can cram into it.

Enjoy ...

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Access

from what i gather, michigan public beaches (city, county, township, state, national parks, national forests etc...) are FREE, but you have to pay for parking and/or vehicle access.... so, if you just walk in, or ride bicycles, there would be no charge to access the beaches....

to the locals, is this accurate?

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Access

Yes. There is always a large group of people that visit Holland State Park that park outside the park on the main road leading in. But the police do ticket and spots are limited. Its a long hot hike to the beach area to save $8. Last week we took our bikes to Holland & parked in the state park. That area of Ottawa County has bike paths along many of the roads. We road Lake Shore Drive north and did a nice 10 mile loop.

We visit Ludinton State Park frequently and there is also a huge contingent of people that park outside the park and then walk in.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 13:30
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Access

So if a in state wanted to go to the beach for 1 day, its $10 good for the whole year ? That seems not right if the out of state cars can pay just $8 for the same 1 day visit. Yeah I know, after the 1st day the $10 rate for the year can't be beat. Riding a bike in is a good idea, if its safe to keep lock up all day well you are on the beach. Are there many good places to lock bicycles up?

Which beach is nicer of the two or are they both worth checking out. I might be in Grand Rapids next week and with the hot temps we been having Lake Michigan must be 70 plus degrees right now, thanks

Edited: 09 July 2012, 02:36
chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Access

Very easy to park in the neighborhood next to the state park and access the beach there

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Access

I'd skip Holland outright and go up to Grand Haven. Much nicer beach, awesome lighthouse, a bit more to do in town, and direct access to Lake Mich (on a windy day you can surf). Also, tons of places to park away from the state park for free and bike in. We park down the inlet about half a mile and walk it. Only problem is that it's a bit of a meat-market. Try PJ Hoffmaster park south of Muskegon. Boat access, hiking/biking trails and mostly families....huge park.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Access

I have been to Muskegon many times as a youth, expect for the smelly paper mil it was a really lovely place.

Yes Grand Haven might well top Holland but its all pretty much the same water thou. I would image with all this hot weather during the weekends every beach is pack full

10. Re: Beach Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Holland