We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do in Iron Mountain on a rainy day?

Which Iron Mountain hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gastonia, North...
1 post
Save Topic
What is there to do in Iron Mountain on a rainy day?

I will be visiting Iron Mountain mid-June and need to plan some things to do on a rainy day. I will be bringing 3 children with me...ages 6,7,10. Does anyone have any ideas?

3 replies to this topic
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do in Iron Mountain on a rainy day?

Not a heck of a lot! The Iron Mine tour is cool, I think that would be a good rainy day activity that would be interesting to kids and adults. Other than that, there's a movie theater just outside of town but I don't know of much else to do if it's raining.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do in Iron Mountain on a rainy day?

If my memory is correct, the Dickinson County library is in Iron Mountain. That should be good for a couple hours of browsing for kids and parents if the weather turns on you. I'm pretty sure there's a bowling alley too.

Crystal Falls isn't too far away. If you're in the area when there's a show at the Crystal Theater it is worth driving over. It is a cool old time theater that has been nicely restored. Last I knew it isn't formal so the kids would be welcome.

If the place you're staying does not have a pool, check into the YMCA in Escanaba. They used to have open swim times at their indoor pool, but I haven't been in a long time.

It is a tough area to find things to do inside. Definitely bring some kid-friendly games and crafts to pass the time.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do in Iron Mountain on a rainy day?

Pack up the kids and drive to Marquette (about an hour...give or take) and bring them to the U.P. Children's Museum:

http://upcmkids.org/exhibits.htm

If it's not raining too badly (and even if it is) another cool place for the kids would be Lakenenland just outside of Marquette. Check out the picture gallery at their home page and the TA reviews

http://lakenenland.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g42441-d61…

Reply to: What is there to do in Iron Mountain on a rainy day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iron Mountain