We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Michigan FUN!!

Indiana
7 posts
Save Topic
Upper Michigan FUN!!

Calling out to anyone with an opinion! My family is traveling to Cross Village (very uppermost northwest corner of lower MI) and I am trying to plan some fun things to do and good places to eat. My oldest daughter turns 15 during our stay and I would love to plan a fun time on Mackinac Island for that day. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

In addition...we are looking for nearby jetski rentals...dune buggy rentals/rides, etc.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Near Cross Village, you definitely want to eat at Leggs Inn-cool, cool place.

Mackinac Island-just the whole place is fun to be-rides bikes around the whole outside edge of island-it is flat, paved and I believe 9 miles around. Take water with you. The Butterfly House is also a hit with kids, as is the fort. For a light lunch on MC, eat at the fort restaurant-which has fantastic views.

I believe you can rent jet skiis in Mackinaw City-used to anyways, but I am sure if you looked up the website of MC, you could narrow down a place nearby. Dune buggy rentals: Only place I know of for that kind of rental is Silver Lake. Loads of fun there, lots of dune buggy sand! Google Silver Lake, and it will lead you to it, but it not near MC, MI or Cross Village....

Have fun!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Be sure to take your bicycles. The Cross Village area has some of the coolest rides in the state.

Restaurant options without driving 15 miles or more from Cross Village are going to be limited, but I think you will enjoy te Crow's Nest: www.crowsnest-harborsprings.com/index.html

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Take your bikes with you to Mackinac Island. It will cost you $7.50 each to take them across ont he ferry, and well more than that for a few hours of rental to tour the island. There are many good places to eat on the island. There are several cafes with seating ont he water. One is called the Beanery. I think it is over by the bicycle shop as you head toward Mission Point. Another is located on the same pier as the Arnold ferry. Martha's Restaurant has an interesting menu with outdoor seating on the water. It is two stores down from the Iroquois Hotel, which itself has an excellent restaurant with primo water views - prices and elegance to match, though you are fine in your biking clothes. Also, for a simple hot dog stand meal, there is the Dog House next to the Iroquois with its large lawn where you can watch the boats come and go. Or the refreshment stand (dogs, burger, etc.) at British Landing, about Mile 5 on the road around the island.

Re Mackinac Island, the ferry is $21 RT. Come early, spend the day and stay for dinner, when most day trippers leave the island. Things really quiet down after about 6 and the relaxed feeling is unbeatable. Do some cycling, the butterfly house, check out the shops and sample the fudge from each of the different sellers. I don't know if the fort will be your daughter's cup of tea, but you can decide. There are many beautiful sights.

By the way, re: dune rides, the one in Silver Lake is a lot of fun. It is a family run business and they have been doing it for a long time. They throw in some good thrills, sights and humor.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Mackinac Island is a great place to spend your daughter's birthday! I recommend the restaurant at Mission Point resort that is on the miniature golf course. The food is good, you eat outside with a fantastic view of the lake and mini golf after is great. I would not take my bike for the day. It is a lot of work for such a short time. Bike rental places abound. As for staying for dinner, make sure you check the time of the last ferry back to the mainland. If you miss it, you spend the night. It is true that Mackinac Island is particularly special after the crowds leave but that means you can't get back.

The Silver Lake Dune buggy rides are at least 2-3 hours drive south of Cross Village. Unless you do this on your way up north or on your way home, I would not plan on it.

Have a great time! Moms

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

One other activity on the Island is horse back riding. My girls loved to ride there. You are sent out with a guide and basically ride up into the island. We used Jack's , last left turn before the Grand Hotel. I'm pretty sure there is at least one other.

Geez Moms, kind of a downer today :) but I agree with what she said. You are kinda in the sticks staying at Cross Village. We went to a restaurant called Fish or The Fish, it was straight north of Harbor Springs, if its still there that might be near you and it was pretty good. If you get back down to Harbor Springs, there are several options for dinner there, I like the New York, in Petoskey I like City Park Grill.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Out of curiosity is there a reason you picked Cross Village as your staying point? Don’t get me wrong it’s a very pretty area but I was wondering if you are aware that you are kind of in the middle of nowhere. If that’s what you want then you will be happy. Just be prepared to drive at least 20 miles for most places near by. Petoskey and Harbor Springs are pretty close and are nice towns.

I would second the Legg’s Inn suggestion for eating. It’s a neat place. Silver Lake is the only place you can ride the dunes in Michigan. I believe Saugatuck may offer group dune buggy rides but you can’t ride your own vehicle there. Silver Lake is a lot of fun and has jeep rentals and 2 person dune buggy rentals but like it was mentioned it’s not really near Cross Village.

You can rent jet skis at Mackinac City Jet Ski. Mackinac City also has a waterpark. I would agree with Rono about the horseback riding on the island. You get to see the island from a different perspective. Cindy’s on Market Street is the other stables. Jacks & Cindy’s are pretty much the same so you can’t go wrong with either. There is also Catamaran rides from the island if that is something you might be interested in.

For a scenic route in Cross Village drive the M-119 Tunnel of Tress or bike it. Just watch out for the wild turkeys. Have a good trip.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Rono, please tell us more about The Fish? I noticed it while driving last year, and it looked interesting.

In Habor Springs, I love The Pier.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,781 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

You gotta spend at least one day in Harbor Springs!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Hi ,

First, I want to correct a statement I made. I had written:

>>>"Martha's Restaurant has an interesting menu with outdoor seating on the water. '<<<

I realized today that I had the wrong name. The restaurant I meant to refer to is Mary's Bistro, and it is very good. There is a Martha's Sweets, but not really the same sort of place.

As for staying for dinner, of course moms is right about the ferry schedule. You need to know when the last ferries leave. I am pretty sure that you have until at least 10PM, maybe even later, before the last ferry leaves. Check www.mackinacisland.org for a ton of info. This is the island Chember of Commerce.

There are three ferry lines: Arnold www.arnoldline.com, Sheplers www.sheplersferry.com and Star Line www.mackinacferry.com. You can find their schedules online.

The outdoor dining at Mission Point is a lovely suggestion, and casual, too. Mission POint also has an indoor option called the Round Island Bar and Grill. Also casual with nice water views. We ate there tonight. The food was great, and with severe storms threatening, the outdoor restaurant was not an option. The mini golf, by the way, is not your windmills and concrete obstacles. This is 18 manicured putting greens. Different and fun.

I'll agree with the horse riding suggestioni. We have done that on a previous visit and enjoyed ourselves. But I'll still put in a plug for the bicycle. They are everywhere. Riding around the island is a very popular activity. Getting on a bicycle and riding around the island, maybe trying some inland roads, will give you a great feel for the island and why people find this little place so engaging. Great activity for a first visit. So many things to do and see.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upper Michigan FUN!!

Lighthouse, this is my understanding,,, The Fish was or is a restaurant by the people that did Red Mesa in Boyne City, and ,,shoot another in Elk Rapids. Come on people help me? The Fish was in the middle of no where but was busy. It was very good,,,

Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island