We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cloghaun

flint
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cloghaun

Has anyone ever stayed at the Cloghaun B&B on Mackinac Island? We are looking to stay there early in October for our anniversary. The woman seemed very helpful and friendly and the cost is very fair!! Just wondered if anyone has any comments about it???

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cloghaun

I am visiting on the island right now, and we walked by it today and it caught my eye. Almost went in for a look see, but didn't. It struck me as a very attractive place, well kept, attractive gardens, comnfortable grounds. One of the things that attracted me is that it is not on the main street, which is very congested during the day, but back up a block, which is quieter and prettier. Eazsily walkable from the ferries and to all of downtown. If you are getting a good feel from your contacts, I can at least verify it as an attractive and welcoming looking pace.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cloghaun

Shamrock - I hope this post isn't too late to be useful for you.

My husband and I stayed at the Cloghaun in August of 2006, for our last Michigan getaway before we moved to Arizona. We stayed in the little room off to the side of the inn with it's own private entrance, I can't remember the name of the room, but it was great. Loved having our own private entrance and not having anyone above or below us. The other rooms are all upstairs, I can't comment on those because we never ventured up there.

As for the inn itself, it has a fantastic front garden and front porch, great for people watching. My one complaint is that the porch was used heavily by smokers, which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, so we often would be sitting enjoying the porch, and get chased out by second hand smoke. (not sure if Michigan has changed it's laws since then? we live in AZ now, where this isn't allowed)

The breakfast was nice from what I can remember, some fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals and a hot egg dish, coffee and tea of course, and juice. The owner (lady and her son) were very helpful with recomendations on everything from meals/bars/activities. I would definitely receommend the Cloghaun.

Off subject, another thing I would recommend is booking an airplane tour from the Mackinac Island airport, we did and it was AMAZING!!! The weather has to be on your side, or they will cancel the trip, but if small, rattling, noisy planes don't bother you, I would recommend this highly. I think the plane co. is called Great Lakes Air?? They fly out of St. Ignace and will come over to the island and give you a 30 minute tour, I think we paid around $35 per person (??) and it was the best money we have ever spend on Mackinac, and trust me, we've dropped a lot of cash on that island! :-)

Happy Anniversary, enjoy your trip!

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
173 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cloghaun

The Cloghaun does have a website. I do not know if you have visited it yet or not. www.cloghaun.com. October is when we do our yearly trip up there. Not nearly as crowded and the colors are beautiful!!

4. Re: Cloghaun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 11:21
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island