We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackimac in October

louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Mackimac in October

Is the second week in October too late to visit Mackinac. I've heard it is a 3 season island. Also, how long does it take to get to the island on the Ferry? Are there limits on the amount of baggage you can take. I would appreciate your recommendations for accomodations that are centrally located, family oriented and somewhat reasonable.

d8n
Oxford, MI
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackimac in October

You could experience Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter all in one day on Mackinac Island in October. It's tough to predict. Generally, I would think this would be a beautiful time to visit. The crowds are gone and the autumn leaves will be just past peak color. It's only about 10 miles around the entire island and most hotels are in town. The Grand Hotel is quite expensive but may be less so at that time of year. We stayed at the Island House a couple years ago - it was a nice place.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackimac in October

I've never beent here in October, but I think it would be great.

Check the Mackinac Island Chamber of Commerce website for their lodging link. The island boasts 2000 hotel rooms. I don't kinow if that includes B&Bs, but there are plenty of those, too. Fall rates are definitely lower. If you are driving up, consider bringing your bicycles. It is a great place for bicycles, and they provide a form of transportastion for you if you choose a place to stay that is not right in the middle of town. But most lodging is walkable, anyway.

Ferries take about 20 minutes. No luggage limit. Proters at the dock will get your luggage to your hotel/B&B/whatever, or if you take a horse drawn cab, you can put it right on board.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackimac in October

We went the 2nd week in October last year and had a great time. Capris or shorts and sweatshirts by day - jeans and sweaters at night. We stayed in town at Main Street Inn and Suites (something we don't usually do - usually we are out by Stonecliffe), and it was quiet and relaxing. Prices go down that time of year, especially if you stay Sunday thru Thursday.

Weather was great - mostly sunny and rained one day. Of course the week after we returned, they had snow, so it is unpredictable. The leaves had just started turning when we were there, and it was very pleasant. I would recommend it!

Have fun!

louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackimac in October

Thanks for the great information. I'm leaning toward Main Street Inn & Suites. Is there more than one ferry that comes to the island? I'd like to stay close to the ferry. One of the folks traveling with us has physical limitations that will prevent her from biking and probably even getting into a carriage. I want to make sure we're close to shops and restaurants she can walk to.

Speaking of restaurants, are there any regional food items that we should not miss trying.

Thanks again for the great information.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mackimac in October

There are 3 ferry lines: Sheplers, Star Line, and Arnold. All are within easy walking distance of Main Street Inn or any of the other downtown hotels. You'll be able to get some good deals at the stores as they get ready to close for the season.

As for restaurants, our faves are Seabiscuit Grille (#1 fave), Horn's Bar (specializing in Southwestern food), Yankee Rebel Tavern (yummy beef stew) and The Oyster Bar. All have some regional dishes to try. But the best "regional" we've found is at the Village Inn. The Planked Whitefish is fantastic - best thing on their menu.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mackimac in October

Just to restate what d8n said in a different way. We've gone to the area for the last 20 years during the first week of Oct. 9 times out of ten the weather is perfect. Twice it has been in the thirties and snowed. If you can stay flexible and watch the 10 day forecast it may be wise. But I must say more times the weather is perfect, 60's 70' s and sunny. It really is a great time to be on the Island.

7. Re: Mackimac in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island