We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early June 2008

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Early June 2008

Working on coordinating a vacation for early June 08 to the island. There will be 4 couples and three small (6, 3, 2) children.

Booking to celebrate my mom's 60th and trying to find economical places to stay that allow us all to stay together (same hotel/inn or condo?). And also interested in the tricks you've learned from visiting on navigation, site seeing and such.

We're likely booking a Sunday - Thursday trip.

Appreciate your help!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
401 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early June 2008

If you don't mind staying out of town, I HIGHLY recommend a condo out by Stonecliffe. We have stayed with Sunset Condos several times and we are always very comfortable. This past trip (in early June also) we had a 3 bedroom loft condo: 3 seperate bedrooms, 2 of those bedrooms had a queen bed and pullout sofa, living area, full kitchen, 4 full baths. We had a great view of the water and bridge. We ate most of our meals there, so we saved quite a bit of money. There is no limit to the amount of baggage you bring and we brought a couple coolers and large plastic tubs filled with food.

They aren't luxury accomodations, but they are homey and comfortable. The washer and dryer in our unit (they aren't in all so be sure to check) was a real plus! And it is a hike to get there (about 2 miles out of town and there is a challenging hill to get there), but you can also take a taxi. Bring your bikes and have fun!

http://www.mackinacislandvacationrentals.com/ (click on Sunset Condos at the top)

As for tricks of what to see - make sure you check when the Fort and other buildings open for the season. If you go too early, you could miss seeing those.

Make sure to take one morning or afternoon to go all around the exterior of the island. Start the trip by going out of town toward Mission Point. The kids will enjoy making stops at Arch Rock (looking up), British Landing to skip stones and get a snack, and then on the way back into town stop at the school playground. If you stay at the condos, make sure you have time to get back there before dark. The trip can be a bit spooky if you head back too late. Take another day to see the interior - the Fort (don't miss the kids area), make the trek to Ft Holmes at the top of the island (GREAT views), see the cemeteries and the airport.

sigh. I wan't to go back now. We'll be going again sometime next summer. Have a great time!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early June 2008

I think the Stonecliffe area and the condos are a great suggestion, but the distance from town and the hill may be a discouragement, especially staying for 5 days. That is a lot of walk for 3 little kids and maybe for someone in their 60s. The horse cabs can get expensive quickly. You might want to consider a place that is closer to town so that everyone can access the area easily, and then do their own journeys. I personally like to stay farther from downtown, but we bring our bikes and love getting arounf on them for the days we are there.

That said, if you have bikes and bike seats for the little ones (maybe the six year old can ride on his/her own), and if your parents ride, too, then you have a lot more options while still staying more on the flat. If you don't have a kid cart to pull behind your bike, you can rent one on the island, and it would seat 2 kids. You can also rent a ride along (or whatever they are called) which is an extra wheel with seat for a kid to pedal along, attached to one of your bikes.

Check the Mackinac Island Chamber of Commerce website for their lodging links. They also have a map that shows where each of the places is. www.mackinacisland.org.

We stay at a B&B that is about 3/4 of a mile from the center of town, called Small Point B&B. An easy bike ride, and walkable, too. It is just past Mission POint Resort and is the last commercial establishment before entering the State Park portion of the island. We love it. It is a modest place, not luxurious, but very comfortable and welcoming. You also have to be comfortable with shared bathrooms, but as you are all family, this may not be so hard. Depending on how many rooms you need, you will just about fill the place. They also have rooms with extra beds for kids, and they rent basic one speed bikes pretty inexpensively. There is a large front porch with a view to the water, but with enough privacy shielded from the road by a row of lilacs, which may be in bloom in early June when you would be there - lucky you. They serve a nice breakfast, again, nothing fancy, but no one goes away hungry and there is good variety. There is a fridge available for guests to store things, and they will be very accommodating if you need setups want to have a little party right there (not invlving cooking, I don't think). The new managers, Jim and Judy, are as friendly as the owners, John and Lois, who have decided to retire after 36 years. You can find their phone number on the Chamber website, but they do not have a website.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early June 2008

Be sure to bring pleanty of warm clothes. It will probably be cool, but you could hit weather that would make you want heavy coats.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early June 2008

>>>>>lighthouoselovertoo wrote:

Be sure to bring pleanty of warm clothes. It will probably be cool, but you could hit weather that would make you want heavy coats.<<<<<

I have never been to Mackinac Island in early June, but I think heavy coats may be overkill. In general, check the forecast before heading up. That should guide your packing. Dress in layers, but have shorts on hand for warm days, and long pants and a couple of layers for the evening. I doubt that you will need much more than that. The Lilac Festival is in early June through Father's Day. The island is in bloom.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early June 2008

I always recommend rain gear for that time of year. For some reason June is rainier (is that a word?) than July and August.

I recommend the Inn at Stone Cliffe with its suites in the Summer House. Again, it is a ride on the taxi into the middle of the island but it is worth it. A lovely property, breakfast included, a suite and pool. Perfect! Moms

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early June 2008

The Island is in bloom, but I have seen snow flurries (nothing that sticks) as late as Memorial Day weekend. More than once.

When I worked summers at Fort Michilimackinac, we wore the long Mackinaws many times in the summer. Mostly in June and late August.

7. Re: Early June 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 07:19