We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ferrry line is the best?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
VA
1 post
Save Topic
Which ferrry line is the best?

OF the three ferry lines, which is the best?

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

Hello Julia,

Let me just say that with the experience I have had with the different Ferry Lines I have found none of them being bad. There good and pretty much the same. Just make sure you use their coupons. You save a little that way.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

We always prefer Shepplers, they seem to have the best customer service...BUT, yooperbacker's pretty on the money, there isn't MUCH of a difference between the three.

Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

I have always rode Starline and it has always been great.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

We've used all three and there really isn't any visable difference except times and the location. With that said we usually use Shepplers out of St Ignace. We like to cross the bridge, and the facilities are always clean and convenient. Not to say the others aren't its just habit I guess.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

I usually use Sheplers but have had good experiences with all of them. If I was staying at a motel next to the others, I would walk over and use them.

But I do think that the ride from MC to the Island is more beautiful and fun.

Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

We have used Starline and Arnold. If you ride in the open it is a little bit more windy. But if you ride in the enclosed part it isn't that bad. It also depends on the weather. We rode the Arnold yesterday and it was a little rough. I prefer to go across the bridge to St. Ignace too. There is usually less people and the St. Ignace boat did run later for Memorial weekend than the Mackinaw City boat.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

I usually go with Arnold but I imagine they are all the same. I like the location of the Arnold dock on the island the best.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

I agree, all the same, more or less.

I have never in my life, despite going to MI countless times, taken a ferry from St. Ignace. Jeez, something new I will have to try this year!! Spice things up-LOL.

9. Re: Which ferrry line is the best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 10:19