We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How has the weather been lately? How do you get around the

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How has the weather been lately? How do you get around the

island?? My mother-in-law doesn't walk very well, but can get around. Will horse carriages take you were you want to go or just on tours?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How has the weather been lately? How do you get around the

Horse drawn taxis are available.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How has the weather been lately? How do you get around the

You have several options for travel on the island. As mentioned, there are horse-drawn taxis. In addition, there are shuttles between the downtown area and the Grand Hotel and the Mission Point, each of which are a good walk from downtown.

Bicycles are the most popular form of travel, but you can also rent small carriages for self-guided tours (the horses know the routine and pretty much lead themselves).

If your mother-in-law is willing, you can also rent motorized scooters. I have to admit in all of my visits, wheelchairs are the one thing I haven't seen much - the motorized scooters are much more popular.

If you stay in the downtown area on Main or Market Streets, it's a short walk to most of the places you'd want to see or visit (including restaurants), so perhaps the carriage tour is enough to see the outlaying areas of the island (which is only 8 miles around).

You may want to mention any access challenges when making your hotel reservations. Most smaller inns don't have elevators.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How has the weather been lately? How do you get around the

Great information! Thank you!! Rhonda

4. Re: How has the weather been lately? How do you get around the

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 01:17